What's new

"How Experimental" is the RT-N16 version of Asuswrt-Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bheiser1

Occasional Visitor
Hi, How experimental is the RT-N16 version of Asuswrt-Merlin at present? I've decided to take the plunge & ordered an RT-AC66U, but would also like to upgrade my RT-N16 to a current firmware. Ideally it'd be nice if I were able to run the same software on both devices.

It's now running a Toastman tomato release from a year ago, so I could either upgrade to a newer version of that, or try Asuswrt-Merlin. The Toastman version I have installed is the "full" version (1.28.4493) including VLAN, VPN, etc, though I'm not actually using those features at present, just wired & wireless N clients.

How far along is Asuswrt-Merlin for this device?

RT-N16 support is labeled as experimental because I don't own an RT-N16 to test anything. That means that not everything might work as expected - it's all untested. Also, some features will not be available on the RT-N16 (such as OpenVPN) due to the smaller NVRAM storage.

I flashed my RT-N16 to a previous version of Merlin's firmware when I got my N-66U.

I only tried using the N16 as an access point with this firmware, but it was rock solid for the several days I tried it.

I bought an RT-N16 in early September and have been running Merlin's build since the second week. Currently running the latest version available for the RT-BN16. We have 1 desktop PC connected by ethernet, a VOIP connected by ethernet, a Windows 7 and a Windows Vista Laptop; a PS3, a Nintendo Wii, Android phones and an Apple Ipod. We can video stream and do gaming while talking on the phone with no issues.

Only minor hiccup is trying to get the parental control page to restrict the kids internet time exactly the way I want it. Otherwise we have been very stable with this firmware. This weekend I will hookup a USB HDD and see how it goes.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!