What's new

Solved How good is built in Asus SW and mobile app for managing and parental controls?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brownie112

Regular Contributor
I'm almost sold on buying an Asus router missy probably AC 86U as everyone recommend it here( maybe Amplifi HD for it's teleport feature but not finalized yet)

I was wondering how good is the built in Asus software? Do I HAVE to flash third party firmware on Asus router? I'm not super techy, but can fiddle with it if I absolutely must as long as I don't have to keep flashing fw manually frequently..

All I need is built in OpenVPN, easy to use and responsive software/mobile app for parental controls that even my wife can use it.

Thanks in advance

Your better bet for future proof is the RT-AX86U.
As for the firmware, the Asus factory firmware works very well for me. I have used the parental controls in the past to limit access and that worked well. The web GUI is the better choice for "fine tuning" but I also use the Android app to check up on things. The Asus firmware has OpenVPN. Also InstantGuard for mobile devices. The newer firmware has the ability to do DNS over TLS (DoT) and DNS Filtering, features that were first available in Merlin firmware. Merlin firmware is also a good option on supported routers.

Last edited:
Your better bet for future proof is the RT-AX86U.

Thank you for your reply.

Ax86u is twice the price compared to AC86U.
I do not have any wifi 6 devices in the house yet and since I'm only buying 2nd hand, is it still worth buying the ax86u over the ac version?

This is what an upgrade to 2x RT-AX68U's did for one of my customers recently.

The RT-AX86U is better than what is shown in the link below.

This is what an upgrade to 2x RT-AX68U's did for one of my customers recently.

The RT-AX86U is better than what is shown in the link below.

Thank you for your reply. I can look into the AX but x86u is twice the price compared to AC86U even on the used market.

I do not have any wifi 6 devices in the house yet and since I'm only buying 2nd hand, is it still worth buying the ax86u over the ac version?

My house is 120m2 or1300sqft single storey with on 1gbps UFB ISP plan.

Until I read of your 1Gbps UFB (is this New Zealand?), the RT-AC86U would have been good enough.

The RT-AX68U, I did not have a chance to test with a 1Gbps service (mine). But for 'only' 1,300 SqFt, it may be all you need. The customer is still extremely happy with their upgrade from 2x RT-AC86U's.

The RT-AC86U is old news today. Particularly for 1Gbps ISP service. Even with no AX class devices to connect to, yet. :)

I tried to look for AX86U but it's very pricey.
Like, 3 times the price of AC68U where I am. I don't think I'll utilize that kind of gains from it?

Also, anyway to use RP-AC68U as AP with my Linksys router instead of buying a new router?

Your options are not limited to only buying a new router or listening to my suggestions.

But what I am trying to convey is that with your 1Gbps ISP plan, the hardware you think is worth it, isn't.

A repeater will be a downgrade to your network too. Not only is it the worst way to extend the range of greater than ~500Mbps ISP connections, but the older hardware you want to use will also make the effective speeds much lower too. And, on top of everything, in a 1,300 SqFt space, you'll create even more issues for yourself because of too much Wi-Fi.

Repeater mode = wireless AiMesh

Thanks
Your options are not limited to only buying a new router or listening to my suggestions.

But what I am trying to convey is that with your 1Gbps ISP plan, the hardware you think is worth it, isn't.

A repeater will be a downgrade to your network too. Not only is it the worst way to extend the range of greater than ~500Mbps ISP connections, but the older hardware you want to use will also make the effective speeds much lower too. And, on top of everything, in a 1,300 SqFt space, you'll create even more issues for yourself because of too much Wi-Fi.

Repeater mode = wireless AiMesh
Thanks mate I hear you.

So you are saying with the Ax86u, even without any WiFi 6 devices, it's still worth the almost 3x the price tag compared to AC86U?

All I really need is the built-in OpenVPN functionality and a reliable parental control mobile app.
House is only 1300sqft so coverage and speeds won't be an issue with either I guess.
Currently on Linksys WRT 1900AC getting 900mbps on Ethernet and 500-600 on WiFi. Just really sucky Linksys mobile app is the reason too look for an upgrade in the first place otherwise I'm fairly happy ☺️

What are the absolute prices you're seeing for the RT-AC86U and RT-AX86U (or the RT-AX68U)? 300% higher price doesn't mean much, depending on the starting price point.

For myself, yes it would be worth it. If my budget could entertain both price points.

What are the absolute prices you're seeing for the RT-AC86U and RT-AX86U (or the RT-AX68U)? 300% higher price doesn't mean much, depending on the starting price point.

For myself, yes it would be worth it. If my budget could entertain both price points.
In NZD
AX86U - 440 (used but only 1 and might sell whenever), 600 new
AC86U - 200 (used), 300 new

At those prices, the RT-AC86U isn't worth buying, IMO.

I would also never consider a used router that I didn't know where/from whom (personally) it was coming from. Particularly at those prices.

If 600 is the going rate in your part of the world, you need to pay, to play. Or, wait for a good sale (aren't those coming up real soon?).

At those prices, the RT-AC86U isn't worth buying, IMO.

I would also never consider a used router that I didn't know where/from whom (personally) it was coming from. Particularly at those prices.

If 600 is the going rate in your part of the world, you need to pay, to play. Or, wait for a good sale (aren't those coming up real soon?).
Wow interesting, so even at the 2x price difference of AC and AX for new, still not worth the 86U in the interim?

Lowest price ever was was boxing day sale (kinda like black Friday) but in 24th Dec for $460 for the Ax86u

Read the link I provided in post 4. That performance increase was with an RT-AX68U (do you have a price for one of those?).

The RT-AX86U is a better router than the RT-AX68U.

300 for an RT-AC86U is not worth buying to me at the end of 2021. Even if the current price of its successor is 2x higher, today. Wait for the sales, the router will be well worth it.

RT-AX55U, no. RT-AX56U, maybe worth considering.

At those prices? Not a consideration from what I've read about the models on these forums.

Never heard of a 'demo' router. :)

Ouch. (one big shop) :(

Ouch. (one big shop) :(
I know...
Not much competition to be honest which is the main problem. Can't wait for Amazon.co.nz

We have our own eBay where brand new ones are being sold by parallel imported Sellers but the warranty etc will not be anywhere as good as a dedicated shop.

It's trademe.co.nz lol
What about Netgear rax40? It supposedly has built in OpenVPN and is wifi 6 and affordable at the moment.

I'm almost sold on buying an Asus router missy probably AC 86U as everyone recommend it here( maybe Amplifi HD for it's teleport feature but not finalized yet)

I was wondering how good is the built in Asus software? Do I HAVE to flash third party firmware on Asus router? I'm not super techy, but can fiddle with it if I absolutely must as long as I don't have to keep flashing fw manually frequently..

All I need is built in OpenVPN, easy to use and responsive software/mobile app for parental controls that even my wife can use it.

Thanks in advance
Back to your question on parental control use:

In general, I find asusrt parental control UI very nicely designed and detailed as for its options (using original asus one). However, for more than 1 year of trying to fiddle wh parental control set up it seems not to work: restriction settings simply will after while return to "non restrictive" settings and one cannot rely on them.
I cannot keep them saved after setting up and they just reset.
I did try merlin fw before, then switched to asusrt latest firmware 386_45987 (models RT-AC68U, RT-AC66U B1) yet I cannot make it work.

I tried already but without the result:
- flashin fw,
- reflashing it using emergency mode,
- merlin fw,
- setting it up using WEB UI or on the other hand Android app
- MAC filtering Accept/Deny
- time restriction
- contacting offcial support center sending them log
- disabling NAT acceleration and checking time zone wh system time

As I skimmed through SNB forum threads, the issue wh parental control and asusrt has been mentioned here several times but I did not find a thread with the solution to the problem.
I would be grateful if there is anybody who was able to resolve it.

Last edited: