What's new

How limiting is my router when using 2 clients that talk to each other

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shareout

Occasional Visitor
I have an old AC66U (Not the B1 revision from what I can see)
and I have a windows PC with a DWA-192 getting 100ish mbit from speedtest

The other PC running ubuntu with a ASUS PCE-AC68 says "1053Mb/s" in connection info and it can get 100 mbit/s from speedtest as well (This is placed in the same room as the router)

And then when I try both wireless and download from each other I get 3-6MB/s so 25-50mbit
If the ubuntu machine is wired I can download from it with 20-30MB/s

Is this expected speed from a 1300mbit router? Or is it because its more difficult to have 2 streams than 1 single strong one?

Last edited:
Two WiFi clients trying to transfer data between each other on a single AP? Find your lowest link speed and divide by 4, that should be roughly what you can expect. The two clients will be fighting for the same airspace which will for sure slow things down quite a bit.

I have an old AC66U (Not the B1 revision from what I can see)
and I have a windows PC with a DWA-192 getting 100ish mbit from speedtest

The other PC running ubuntu with a ASUS PCE-AC68 says "1053Mb/s" in connection info and it can get 100 mbit/s from speedtest as well (This is placed in the same room as the router)

And then when I try both wireless and download from each other I get 3-6MB/s so 25-50mbit
If the ubuntu machine is wired I can download from it with 20-30MB/s

Is this expected speed from a 1300mbit router? Or is it because its more difficult to have 2 streams than 1 single strong one?

As @MichaelCG states, it is expected from two WiFi-connected clients. ;)

You may want to put one client or the other on the 2.4GHz band if you want them both wireless, it should improve your transfer speeds greatly. Assuming that the distance and signal strength is very good to great for one of your client devices when on the 2.4GHz band.

This will theoretically allow each to use a Radio simultaneously and you should see positive results, possibly even for less than optimal 'connections'.

Will test with 2.4 + 5 when I get home.

But getting a more powerful router with more bands wont help?

Last edited:
Will test with 2.4 + 5 when I get home.

But getting a more powerful router with more bands wont help?

If the new router has a dedicated Radio/antennae for each available band and you put your devices on their own bands, yes, it will help.

But the option I offered above should work just as well, depending on the actual factors in your WiFi environment, of course. :)

All valid issues above.

When you say downloading I start to picture too many contributing factors such as disk interface, disk speed, file sizes and counts, cpu, .....

You may want to baseline some things by directly connecting the two in an isolated network and/or use a known capable switch.

I'd also suggest you look at perf tools like iPerf and Netstress and others.

The DWA-192 seems very slow on 2.4Ghz so will just keep both at 5Ghz, pretty rare I move stuff between them so not super important. Will need to check if I can get the Ubuntu driver for DWA-192 working better, then I might use that there and the PCE-AC68 might be better at 2.4Ghz

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!