What's new

How long does a wireless router transmitter last?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smelchionda

New Around Here
I've had at least two Lynksys WRT54G Wireless routers die on me. It seems like after a period of time, maybe a year or two they just stop transmitting. Has anyone else noticed that? Is this a common issue? I stopped buying Lynksys and my latest router is a Belkin... although I'm now having problems with that one also... see my other post for the details on that.

I've used a bunch of the Linksys WRT54G routers in many different versions and I think I've had one that quit working all together and another that wireless doesn't function correctly but the rest of the box works great. I've abused them with DD-WRT and in outdoor weatherproof boxes without failures so I don't know if there is a rule of thumb on how long they will last when running 24/7 but I would think that several possibly five years would be a reasonable lifespan.

I think it's unusual for routers to die that quickly. Is there anything unusual about your environment. Do you keep the routers in a warm space or stacked with other equipment.

Problems can be caused by unstable AC power. Consider putting the router (and your other computing equipment) on a UPS.

I disagree...

I support over 40 salespeople in my organization, and they are constantly coming to me with their home issues. On a regular basis I see all manufacturers wireless routers failing after 1 to 2 years. Because of my experiences I will not use D-Link, and Linksys and Netgear are not much better.

By Failing I mean that they begin to loose connectivity. It will be fine, but then drop, then fine, in situations where it was rock solid the previous year. I have tried flashing the firmware and re-configuring, but in my experience I see the problem come back after a month or so. In the end it become less expensive and most importantly, less time consuming to replace the Wifi Router with a new one.

YMMV, but that is my expierence.

Cheers,

Mitch in NYC

Thanks for the insight, Mitch. But connectivity problems can be caused by other networks and interference sources. Doing a site survey and an RF sweep will tell you whether the connectivity problems being blamed on routers / APs are really their fault.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!