What's new

How many clients?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cmillar6

I'm thinking of adding 2 more security cameras to my home. I already have about 17 devices on my home network (not all are used simultaneously). How many clients can a Asus router handle before things start to bog down, I have a AC66u

There are several major factors that determine how well (fast) your network will work.

How many devices are going to stream video from either a local server or over the Internet simultaneously?

Do you have multiple people uploading and download files simultaneously or running file intensive activities to any NAT devices?

How is your network wired up? Ideally you want devices that are performing file/data intensive activities between between themselves connected to the same switch or AP so their data intensive activities don't bog down your back bone. It would be best if these activities should be done using Ethernet connections so as not to bog down the WiFi.

If you use WiFi for most of your seventeen devices that will be your achilles heel. If you can't migrate some of your devices to Ethernet then consider installing several APs to divide the load. The APs need to be connected to your network using Ethernet cables. Also spread the traffic between your 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz radios. It also might help if you aren't going to add APs then be sure you don't have any legacy WiFi adapters that will pull down your link rates.

In this day and age seventeen network connected devices isn't uncommon so with some common sense and optimizing the hardware you have you shouldn't have any problems. If you need consistent LAN speeds of over 90 Mbps then you will really have to fine tune your network.

Any heavy data transfer I do is high def streaming with my Roku, I keep that on the 5Ghz band. Several clients are hardwired to the router either directly or through powerline adaptors. I use the 2.4GHz channel for printers, security cameras and a couple laptops and tablets. All are used periodically throughout the day. I've never had the need to add an additional access point as my AC66u is keeping up with the job so far. The security cameras I'm installing don't constantly feed data, they are all motion triggered throughout the day when we are not home. I'm just wondering if a consumer device is designed for this kind of use or should I upgrade to a more expensive business class router.

Last edited:
I think you're using it exactly as it was intended. If not underutilizing it, if fact.