What's new

How often do you guys reboot?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JaimeZX

AC-3200 here, Merlin + Skynet, DNSCrypt, Pixelserv-TLS, Diversion.

Seems like I have to reboot the router every 10-15 days because the internet connection drops. Everything appears normal, the lights are normal, devices connect to the router normally, but there is no internet.

I'd be glad for any thoughts y'all might have on this. Thanks!

Currently; my 88u is up for 33 days 17 hours 25 minute(s) 59 seconds. I don't reboot as long as I face a problem and before reboot I try everything I can to fix the problem without reboot.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Everything in its right place :)

AC-3200 here, Merlin + Skynet, DNSCrypt, Pixelserv-TLS, Diversion.

Seems like I have to reboot the router every 10-15 days because the internet connection drops. Everything appears normal, the lights are normal, devices connect to the router normally, but there is no internet.

I'd be glad for any thoughts y'all might have on this. Thanks!
Never, with my RT-AC68U running the same stuff as you minus DNSCrypt. As Colin says, try and get to the cause rather than treating the symptoms.

Have you looked in the systems log around the time you lose the Internet?

When the Internet “drops”, have you tried pinging say, Google, to see if you really have lost the Internet or if it’s something different such as a failure to resolve DNS requests?

Any red lights anywhere?

Can you relate it back to anything eg did it councide with, or follow, the installation of anything on the router eg DNSCrypt?

Seldom, unless it's needed or a new firmware is out. Currently at 33 days uptime on my R7800 without any issues

I have a customer whose RT-AC66U_B1 hasn't been rebooted in more than a year now...

I think of all the millions of Internet service subscribers who probably don’t even know they have a router, let alone know where, in their house, it is. The only time their router reboots is when the mains supply is tripped. For years, maybe decades, their routers never get rebooted. Maybe my wife has a point when she demands to know why I’m tinkering with the router whereas no-one else she knows ever has any problems with their routers?

Appreciate the responses so far! Thanks to everyone who basically says "rarely."
Maybe you should diagnose the problem with the internet connection rather than just rebooting the router.
I love it. Open to suggestions. I was thinking it's also possible (but presumably unlikely) that the router's DHCP lease at the modem has not renewed, but not sure how to check that. I was going to try rebooting the modem first, but I had a very annoyed wife. ;)

Have you looked in the systems log around the time you lose the Internet?
Confusingly, the log (in the GUI) stops on 5 March and doesn't pick up until the reboot. *weird*

When the Internet “drops”, have you tried pinging say, Google, to see if you really have lost the Internet or if it’s something different such as a failure to resolve DNS requests?
Yes. From multiple devices. And from the SSH logged into the router. Next time I could try tracert I guess and see if it's getting to the modem. Dunno.

Any red lights anywhere?
No. All LEDs indicate normal ops.

Can you relate it back to anything eg did it councide with, or follow, the installation of anything on the router eg DNSCrypt?
Nope. This time it happened in the middle of the night, so I happened to notice about 2AM it wasn't working but figured it'd either be back up in the morning or else I'd have to do a reset.

i let amtm soft reboot weekly so i get a new isp wan ip
under the assumption that it adds a bit more anonymity.

hard reboots are mostly needed during a firmware change
or after discovering i may have misconfigured something
which manifests within that week by a wifi radio hanging
or a cpu thread running near 100% while nobody's home.

Last edited:
i let amtm soft reboot weekly so i get a new isp wan ip
under the assumption that it adds a bit more anonymity.
How do you go about this?
I have mine set to.auto reboot once a day at 5am
Also. How do you go about this?

Until I figure out what this occasional problem is, it might be a good solution. Especially interested in follow-up thoughts from @ColinTaylor and @martinr. :)

How do you go about this?
Also. How do you go about this?

Until I figure out what this occasional problem is, it might be a good solution. Especially interested in follow-up thoughts from @ColinTaylor and @martinr. :)
Administration tab and reboot schedule.

I have mine set to.auto reboot once a day at 5am

why? is it really needed or do you not trust the router and think it will "blow up" on its own. I used to run an R7000 on Shibby Tomato with an uptime of 122 days without a single issue. But maybe you have other reasons. Not here to tell you what to do, just curious why you reboot it daily

Administration tab and reboot schedule.
eek3.gif
I never saw this. OK, for now I set it to do this Sundays at 2AM. Thanks. :)

Would still like to learn more about diagnosing the problem.

eek3.gif
I never saw this. OK, for now I set it to do this Sundays at 2AM. Thanks. :)

Would still like to learn more about diagnosing the problem.

I forgot to check the basics with you. You said you router’s an AC3200; I don’t think you mentioned which firmware version you are running. So which firmware, and which firmware version were you running beforehand? And can you remember at what point (time or preferably firmware update) did you last carry out a reset to factory settings followed by manual insertion of your custom settings (ie definitely NOT restoring settings from a backup file)?

Aah - indeed you are correct! Merlin 384.9. The 3200 is a replacement for my 3100 that annoyingly, died after only a year. 384.9 was an upgrade (last month?) from (384.6? The last version available.) I installed [384.6] directly after receiving the router and all configuration was done in 384.6. 384.9 was a "dirty flash" over 384.6. Now that you mention it, I suppose that could be part of the issue?

Aah - indeed you are correct! Merlin 384.9. The 3200 is a replacement for my 3100 that annoyingly, died after only a year. 384.9 was an upgrade (last month?) from (384.6? The last version available.) I installed [384.6] directly after receiving the router and all configuration was done in 384.6. 384.9 was a "dirty flash" over 384.6. Now that you mention it, I suppose that could be part of the issue?

Ideally, a full reset to factory defaults should have been done when you originally flashed 384.6 (too). ;)

When you move from Asus stock firmware to RMerlin firmware and vice versa, a full reset is mandatory.

Please see the links in my signature below for more detailed info.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!