What's new

How "secure" is powerline networking?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zjohnr

Regular Contributor
I have a feeling this question is about as pertinent as that old medieval conundrum "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" But here I go anyway ...

I saw a "sale" over at newegg.com on the Netgear XE102US ethernet over powerline adapter. This is an older model which uses a 10 Mbps ethernet port (although for some reason they claim it has a max throughput of 14 Mbps, not 10 Mbps :confused:).

While looking at the specs it occurred to me that I didn't see any means of controlling which adapters would be included in the network. I was wondering what prevented someone in a neighboring house from plugging in a compatible adapter and accessing my LAN? :confused:

I expect either the range of these device limits this exposure. Or perhaps the way the external power lines are connected to internal power lines in a house prevents this.

If nothing else I expect I'm protected by the same magic pixy dust firewall which protects Macs from viruses i.e. nobody really cares that much about hacking me. ;)

Still, there is likely a better answer and I keep wondering what that might be.

-irrational john

Powerline adapters have a security code that can be set to encrypt the traffic. Adapters usually come set to a default code that allows them to connect without having to futz with setting a code.

There will be a button and/or utility that allows setting the code. Download the manual and check to be sure.