What's new

How strong of a Signal do you need between many and Node for AIMESH to work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JOE.G

Regular Contributor
Hi, I was wondering how far away I could place the node from the main router and still have them work well, Also can I place Node and then have another node hook up wireless to that node or does each node need to connect to the main router?

I would think something between -45 and -55dB would give best results, not to near to prevent interferences and not too far as it would slow down speed.
In other words, the most far point where it still will connect with full speed you need.

If I have a Tri Band router as main does it take up one whole band? Does it slow the band it is hooked to up? Not really sure how all of this works.

If I have a Tri Band router as main does it take up one whole band? Does it slow the band it is hooked to up? Not really sure how all of this works.
If your router has three radio, one of them would be dedicated too back haul, no it won't slow the down bands since it is separate. However if it is dual band then yes it is shared and will affect performance, if you can use wire between nodes eliminate the need for additional radio issue related to it.

Hi, I was wondering how far away I could place the node from the main router and still have them work well, Also can I place Node and then have another node hook up wireless to that node or does each node need to connect to the main router?
Joe.G,
  • Based on the official FAQ here https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035087/
    • Position AiMesh router and node within 1 -3 meters of each other during the setup process.
    • My physical placement of AiMesh devices as follows: (AiMesh Router) .... (AiMesh Node 1) .... (AiMesh Node 2)
      • I always setup AiMesh Router to AiMesh Node 1 first
      • Once the first AiMesh setup is done (with extended WiFi reach), I will then add AiMesh Node 2 at the other end of the house.
      • I use Wired Backhaul, however for now AiMesh Setup uses only Wifi ... waiting for Ethernet Onboarding that is in Beta for Blue Cave and RT-AC68U
  • Based on AiMesh setup guide - PDF (seems like, it is no more at the download site now:() so maybe some things have changed:
    • You can add up to 2 nodes to your AiMesh system under daisy chain topology, and up to 4 nodes when mix daisy chain and star topology. Overall, you can have up to 5 in an AiMesh system. (1 AiMesh router + 4 AiMesh nodes)
    • Last week for whatever reason (bug) my Backhaul connection switches from "Wired" to "Wireless" (I am still monitoring) the visible effect is my Internet speed at the AiMesh Nodes go down by about 50%
      • so I can confirm that daisy chain over Wifi that you are asking about works for me (AiMesh Router) .... (AiMesh Node 1) .... (AiMesh Node 2)

Does it only affect the speed when something is working off of that node? I want to place one in my shop which is only used for streaming tv and music from time to time ( and light internet browsing )
If I use a 5 G band from the tri band to power the node will I still get 2.4 out of the node?
This is all very new to me.

Last edited:
yes connection to parent router will be over 5G so your 2,4G will have full speed on the node (if there is no interference when too close together).

I had it out in the shop and it worked, Seems to boost the 2.4 and the 5G 2 Band. Speeds are not the best over wifi but when plugged into the router it really was quite fast. I have a AC3100 as the Node. Didn't really notice much difference then using the 2.4 Nano station from house to shop.

1 Thing I did notice is that with the 3100 I was able to pick up a 5 G Band though the 2.4 Nano station were with the net gear wdr4600 I am not.