What's new

How to access a service on a Guest Network from a LAN machine thru virtual server & external IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

am01as

New Around Here
Hi,

I have been using merlin for some time. Thank you to everyone who contributes to it.

I have Merlin running on two AC68U in an AiMesh setup and have a question about accessing a service on a machine on a Guest network from the LAN machine using the Virtual Server.

I have a Guest Network with a single machine running a Minecraft server on port xxxxx. I have set up the Virtual Server to open that port to the Minecraft machine. I am successfully able to access it from the outside (the internet) using the WAN IP or a DNS entry - it works great!

However, I want to also access that server from machines on my LAN. From my LAN machine, I tried to connect to the Minecraft machine using the public (WAN) IP and the LAN IP, but neither works. I didn't expect the LAN IP to work, but the WAN one should have.

If I put other machines on the Guest network, those can access Minecraft using the LAN ip.

Any idea why it doesn't work or how to fix this?

Thank you.

For reference, I am running Merlin 384.17.
I have searched for a similar query on the forums but did not come up with anything. Apologies if it has been answered already, and I will greatly appreciate a link/reference to the solution.

Thanks.

Thanks for the really quick response!!

I will look it up and try to plug it in for my purpose.
References to Yazfi had come up in my search, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to add a custom script yet.

The only alternative would be to manually fiddle with the VLAN/iptables rules yourself. But honestly I’d rather go with Jack’s tried and tested method!

I would strongly recommend using amtm (it’s baked into the newer Merlin firmwares) to install Yazfi (and other custom scripts). Don’t be worried about adding anything that is in amtm, they are all great enhancements that are very mature/secure. For me they are a primary reason for running Merlin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great, I will follow your advice. I am not familiar with amtm and haven't noticed it earlier, but I will use it along with Yazfi. Although I have messed with VLANs and iptables rules on other routers and machines, I definitely prefer using something standard as recommended by the community.

My other questions would be related to updates - I keep up with the Merlin updates and want to figure out how to maintain these custom features as well. But I will first do some homework and figure out how that works...

Thanks again. I am looking forward to trying out Yazfi!

Updates are easy, they all have their own in built checkers/updaters. Jack’s are particularly good even with a button in the web UI to do it!

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!