What's new

How to access computers from first router to second router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mozbius

Occasional Visitor
Current setup:
I have a RouterB (Asus RT-AC86U) (Lan: 192.168.3.1/Wan 192.168.2.20) running a VPN client (on stock firmware) connected to the WAN port of RouterA (Asus RT-AC1200G) (Lan 192.168.2.1) which has no VPN. DMZ is set on RouterA to allow transparent Internet connectivity to RouterB. Internet is provided by a cable modem connected to the Wan port of RouterA.

Reasoning:
That setup allows me to keep some PCs behind a VPN while other devices connect freely.

Question:
What do I need to set to allow me to have devices connected to RouterA access computers connected to RouterB?

you could attempt setting up static routes, but if it doesn't work 100% by itself you may have to take RouterB out of the DMZ of router A and disable the firewall on routerB in combination with using static routes.

you could attempt setting up static routes, but if it doesn't work 100% by itself you may have to take RouterB out of the DMZ of router A and disable the firewall on routerB in combination with using static routes.

That works. I already had a static route setup but I still couldn’t reach devices on the subnet. Disabling the DMZ in RouterA and turning off the firewall in RouterB did the trick.

Thank you very much!!

Disabling the DMZ in Router A should not make any difference (other than preventing remote access to Router B).

Disabling the DMZ in Router A should not make any difference (other than preventing remote access to Router B).

So then it is really RouterB’s firewall that was at fault for not allowing me to reach devices in its subnet. Disabling the DMZ makes disabling RouterB’s firewall a safer decision I guess.

So then it is really RouterB’s firewall that was at fault for not allowing me to reach devices in its subnet.
Correct.

Disabling the DMZ makes disabling RouterB’s firewall a safer decision I guess.
True. If you need remote access to something like RouterB’s VPN server it would be better to forward just that one port on RouterA rather than using the DMZ.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!