What's new

How to Achieve 1Gbps Upstream with a DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just Checking

Regular Contributor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

According to the above Wiki, the maximum throughput for a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem (32X8) should be 1372.16Mbps Down/245.76Mbps Up. I have seen other people post in this forum that they have 1Gbps Down/1Gbps Up. They also post numbers for upload speeds in excess of the 245.76Gbps stated as the max in the Wiki. I was somewhat curious what hardware and networking equipment (modem, router, cables, etc.) is being used to achieve these speeds.

I have the most current DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem (Motorola MB8600 32X8) and I don't understand how this equipment would be able to support a 1Gbps Upload speed if it goes by the standard.

It is an academic interest only for me since my ISP (Xfinity/Comcast) only offers 1Gbps Down/35Mbps Up in my area. They have a "Gigabit Pro" (2Gbps Down &Up) service offered in some small test areas but that will not be available to me in the foreseeable future. DSL service is running fibre with 1Gbps Down & Up claimed speeds in test markets but that will not be available to me in the foreseeable future.

It doesn't matter what DOCSIS 3.1 supports, it's how your ISP implements and uses it. D3.1 won't be able to offer anywhere close to gigabit upload until they start using channels above 1Ghz, and they can't do that until they figure out how those D3.1 channels and MoCA will coexist. My guess is they will wait for Video over IP and Cloud DVR access to make MoCA moot before they increase upload above 35-50Mbps on broadband cable(HFC). Gigabit pro is different because it uses fiber and FTTP, which is very different then cable broadband and DOCSIS. If you want to understand some of the technical differences, see the thread below.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30813189-Plan-Side-Discussion-on-DOCSIS-3-1-Gigabit-service

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!