What's new

How to block a range of IP addresses? (Youtube speed fix)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SrValasco

New Around Here
Hi all,
Just picked up one of these routers recently. Currently running the 270 ASUS firmware.

I have major problems getting high def YouTube videos to stream on my FIOS 25/25 connection. All other sites work just fine. And this is not related to my AC66U - this has been happening for a while.

I've been reading up on several blogs about a recent workaround for people having issues with their ISP throttling YouTube, or perhaps it's a caching issue, or a peering issue, etc.

Anyway, people have found that if you block a certain range of IP addresses either in your Windows or Mac firewall or ideally in your router, that this will force your machine to skip those particular servers that are causing the problem and instead it will stream at full throttle direct from the source.

I've actually played around with this and I gotta say it's absolutely works! I'm getting a full 30 MB/s pipe when it starts streaming now. The issue is, I'm not sure if I've enter the range properly into my AC66U.

In CIDR notation, the IP range is shown as 173.194.55.0/24, 206.111.0.0/16

There are instructions provided on how to create a rule in your Windows Firewall and I've also found instructions on how to enter these IP's into your FIOS router, but that won't work in my case because I have my FIOS router double-bridged with my AC66U so the AC66U is doing all of the heavy lifting - it's got the external IP address from FIOS, etc. The FIOS router is simply handling on-demand and TV menus, etc.

It looks like Firewall->Network Services Filter would be the proper place to put this. But I didn't quite known how to enter those IP ranges into the provided form (Source IP, Port Range, Destination IP, Port Range, Protocol). I didn't see a way to have it block a whole range. But I did see someone else suggest putting that IP address in the Firewall->URL Filter instead.

I tried to enter 173.194.55.0/24 but it didn't like the " / " character. I changed it to a " - " instead (173.194.55.0-24 ). It took that, but I'm not sure if it's correct. I don't know if it's blocking the whole subnet like it should, or just the range of 55.0 to 55.24, which is NOT what I want it to do.

I'd really like to figure this out and get these settings properly into my router so the whole house can benefit. It IS working for me at the moment, but I don't know if it's because I was also attempting it with a Windows Firewall rule on my PC or maybe it IS working on the router, but I don't have all of the ports blocked properly yet (ie. just 55.0 to 55.24). I was having great success even with my iPhone watching videos which is usually a stutter-fest.

Here is one of the blog posts I was referring to, if you'd like some more info.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

I tried to enter 173.194.55.0/24 but it didn't like the " / " character. I changed it to a " - " instead (173.194.55.0-24 ). It took that, but I'm not sure if it's correct. I don't know if it's blocking the whole subnet like it should, or just the range of 55.0 to 55.24, which is NOT what I want it to do.

/24 lops off the last octet, so the equivalent range is 173.194.55.0-255.

Are you using your ISP's DNS? The DNS used can affect which Youtube server you will be using. Your ISP might be hosting Youtube caching servers, which you will connect to provided you use their DNS servers.

Merlin - I'm using my ISP's DNS servers (FIOS).

Arogan - I tried 173.194.55.* and 206.111.*.* but that field doesn't accept the " * " character. I was trying this in the Firewall -> URL Filter area.

Anything other suggestions on the simplest way to block 173.194.55.0/24 and 206.111.0.0/16 with stock firmware?

I see people mentioning to telnet into the router and run some commands. I'm assuming this only works if you are running the Merlin firmware or can you telnet into stock firmware for stuff like this?

Thanks!

Meant to add this question too...

I'm willing to try putting these addresses into the Firewall -> Network Services Filter area but I'm unsure of what to put in the fields for Source IP, Port Range, Destination IP, Port Range, Protocol. I'll give that a shot if you have any suggestions.

Thanks!

arogan - i tried 173.194.55.* and 206.111.*.* but that field doesn't accept the " * " character. I was trying this in the firewall -> url filter area.

Anything other suggestions on the simplest way to block 173.194.55.0/24 and 206.111.0.0/16 with stock firmware?
Thanks!

173.194.55.0-255
206.111.0.0-255.255?

Arogan - I tried 173.194.55.* and 206.111.*.* but that field doesn't accept the " * " character. I was trying this in the Firewall -> URL Filter area.

It accepts it if you put it in Destination IP under Network Services Filter Table. It accepts it but I'm not entirely sure if it is working as intended.

Last edited:
I have never heard of this YouTube IP issue before today. I always wondered why when I hit pause that the video didn't continue caching.

Would be nice to have an on/off button in the firmware that activates this ip range blocking. Is that even possible do with the custom f/w's?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!