What's new

How to block access to usb storage over openvpn connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

psychbiz

Regular Contributor
RT-AC66U, Merlin 380.61.

This is a newb question, but I can't find an answer after googling.

I have set up openvpn server with certificates on the router and can use the VPN OK from my phone, but want to allow access to the USB drive I have attached to the router ONLY to users on the local network. I want remote clients on the VPN to access the internet only. How do I configure the openvpn server to do this?

If secure internet access (avoid man in the middle attacks ) is what you are trying to accomplish on mobile devices why not just run the VPN on each device?

What you are trying to accomplish will bog down your router resulting in slow or very slow connections for local LAN connected devices as well as remote VPN connections. In addition if the remote devices connecting using your VPN server on the router and are a long distance from your router the latency will make their connection even worse.

The only reason I can think you would want to do what you are asking is if you are trying to avoid internet censorship or geo blocking and even then you would still be better off if the remote devices connected to the internet using a commercial VPN provider.

If secure internet access (avoid man in the middle attacks ) is what you are trying to accomplish on mobile devices why not just run the VPN on each device?

What you are trying to accomplish will bog down your router resulting in slow or very slow connections for local LAN connected devices as well as remote VPN connections. In addition if the remote devices connecting using your VPN server on the router and are a long distance from your router the latency will make their connection even worse.

The only reason I can think you would want to do what you are asking is if you are trying to avoid internet censorship or geo blocking and even then you would still be better off if the remote devices connected to the internet using a commercial VPN provider.

Don't worry about my reasons or the hit to router performance. I have factored that in to my requirement already. I still would like to know how to achieve my request in the OP.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online