What's new

How to block internet connections to a local IP address with Model: RT-AX56U ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BradMcA

New Around Here
So I find my IP Cams are being connected to from all over the planet even through the password is very strong, how do I use Network Services Filters to block connections from the internet to a LAN IP please

So I find my IP Cams are being connected to from all over the planet even through the password is very strong, how do I use Network Services Filters to block connections from the internet to a LAN IP please
The Network Services Filter only blocks outgoing LAN to WAN connections, it doesn't block incoming connections.

Are you trying to block all incoming internet connections? Are the IP cameras using UPnP to open their ports or have you done that manually using the router's Port Forwarding settings?

Neither, UPnP is disabled, and the only port forwarder rule I have is SSH via a custom port to a Ras PI that died. If I can stop the cameras either inbound or outbound that would give me a starting point for more control.

Then I can't understand how a device on the internet could possibly be connecting to your cameras. Without a port forwarding rule (either manually or via UPnP) any unsolicited incoming connections hitting your router will be dropped by the router's firewall. Even if they weren't dropped by the firewall the router would have no way of knowing which LAN IP address it should forward the traffic to.

Check the currently active port forwarding rules at System Log - Port Forwarding.

If I can stop the cameras either inbound or outbound that would give me a starting point for more control.
One method of blocking all internet access to/from a network client device is to select the client device on the Network Map page, then toggle the Block Internet Access slider to on, then select the Apply button.
blockinternetaccess.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!