What's new

How To Build A Cheap Petabyte Server: Take Three

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

YeOldeStonecat

Very Senior Member
Well I'll be sure not to sign up as a reseller of BackBlaze...seeing they push (and use themselves) consumer grade HDDs.

WD "Blue" drives....I swear sometimes it seems like 50% failure rate. I won't use them for our clients anymore. I've had to replace far too many of them.

I've yet to have a WD RE4 drive fail..the best of the best of enterprise SATA HDDs. A month ago I replace an RE4...suspecting it of corrupting....it was in the fax server of a big insurance company. But further troubleshooting took away the fault of the HDD...so I replaced it without need.

We rarely have to replace WD Black edition drives either...off the top of my head I can't recall the last time I've replaced one of those.

We just got in our first deliver of WD "Red" drives....we are ordering a big Synology RS2212rp+ unit for our own office and will be populating it with Reds.

Speaking of HDD, anyone know where HDD is going next? In All Previous generation a major, known successors has been proved to work and pretty much allow a smooth migration path. It seems we have pushed PP Recording to limit and yet HAMR nor Bit Pattern are Ready.

Where are the 5TB or 6TB Drives?

Well I'll be sure not to sign up as a reseller of BackBlaze...seeing they push (and use themselves) consumer grade HDDs.
This is really apples and kumquats, Cat! You are talking normal single-box RAID-based NAS. Backblaze is using hundreds of pods as part of a much larger system that is designed to tolerate drive failures.

This is really apples and kumquats, Cat! You are talking normal single-box RAID-based NAS. Backblaze is using hundreds of pods as part of a much larger system that is designed to tolerate drive failures.

Oh I know they're not storing their clients stuff on a single giant RAID 1 NAS unit....I know they have farms and farms of huge arrays. It's the concept of..seeing them go for big cost savings...where else do they skimp?

And after 3-5 years...where did that cost savings go?
Slap in a ton of RE4 drives....let them run reliably for 5+ years.
Or slap in a bunch of cheaper drives....replace a good percentage of them once or even twice over a 5 year period. Paying some tech monkeys to do the hot swaps.

It's not like these guys are making money hand over fist. So if it's cheaper for them to replace failed drives and no data is lost, then it's strictly a business decision.

One thing that must be said here is say that 4 years passed using consumer grade HDDs without many failures the savings would be huge.

and even if the failures amount to a single digit which worset case senario is 9% that would accomulate to 36%. Leaving the 64% as cost saving and thats alot and worth the risk. After all if you are running a datacenter trying to save infrastructure costsis key in developing.

I would really be interested in the stats that they will post on failures and which brand of HDD, I would imagine something like 3-4% Failure annually but the breakdown of the failures would be most interesting.

SSD, power supply, CPU and storage card choices

Things I'm curious about:
- Why not use mirrored SSD's for the boot drive? - fast, cool, cheap and stable

- Why not use a SAS/SATA card like this is 8 port: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101358
One of these is cheaper than two syba card and has a higher port density and through put.
There are also 6 GB models such as this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816117296

-Isn't the power supply overkill? How efficient is it?

- Why not go with a 35 W CPU that produces less heat?

Last edited:
If you can put together a disk-less 45 drive system for under $2k using largely off the shelf components at near retail prices, it strikes me that we are getting fleeces by most of the small NAS companies.

If you can put together a disk-less 45 drive system for under $2k using largely off the shelf components at near retail prices, it strikes me that we are getting fleeces by most of the small NAS companies.
I wouldn't say buyers are getting fleeced. You need to factor in the manufacturing, support warranty and software development costs.

But, yes, they are making decent margin on higher-end models.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!