How to clear obsolete Client status info? (RT-AC86U, Merlin 384.18)

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Patrick9876

Regular Contributor
Ever since rebooting my RT-AC86U the Network Map /client status is displaying useless (but probably not exactly incorrect) information for one of my NAS devices. The device icon is flagged with a "2" (indicating that 2 clients are connecting to the router through that device) and is displaying a 169.254.x.y address for the device. Pulling up the detail display (or whatever it's called) I see that the 169.254.x.y address is a static IP address. Not being shown is the the router's DHCP server has given the router an address from the 192.168.1.x pool. The NAS is reachable by that DHCP-assigned address.

169.254.x.y addresses are "automatic private IP addressing" addresses (a.k.a. IPv4 link-local addresses) which some computers (Windows computers and apparently QNAP routers) assign prior to a successful DHCP exchange. As far as I know they are of no use once DHCP has assigned an address. The NAS cannot be reached the APIPA address.

Is there some way to get the router to forget about this address and display the DHCP-assigned address in the client list?

EventPhotoMan

Very Senior Member
is not the IP address 169.254.x.x an IP address that is given to a client that cannot get an IP address from the DHCP server? I see this when my iPhone connects t othe wireless network, but the DHCP sever is off line.

When a lease is granted, it is an agreement by the DHCP sever and the client. Its the client that requests a renewal. The DHCP server does nothing but hold the lease agreement. It can e re-newed or expires.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, if the client looses power, the lease is still there, and client will be listed.
Just because you are not at home, does not mean your still don't live at home.

cooloutac

Very Senior Member
You can shut it down and then try loading the mobile app and see if it is still listed in offline client devices and then click it and choose delete all local data. Thats what I usually do.

Patrick9876

Regular Contributor
is not the IP address 169.254.x.x an IP address that is given to a client that cannot get an IP address from the DHCP server? I see this when my iPhone connects t othe wireless network, but the DHCP sever is off line.

"... is given to a client " is a bit misleading, I think. The device gives itself the address specifically because as you said, it cannot get an address from a DHCP server.

When a lease is granted, it is an agreement by the DHCP sever and the client. Its the client that requests a renewal. The DHCP server does nothing but hold the lease agreement. It can e re-newed or expires.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, if the client looses power, the lease is still there, and client will be listed.
Just because you are not at home, does not mean your still don't live at home.

I agree with that, but I'm not sure how it figures into the problem I have or helps me solve the problem.

I would think that the DHCP part of my router would not care at all about the device's APIPA address. (The routing part of the router might, but the APIPA is not part of the router's subnet so I don't know what it would do with the address. I'm way out of my depth here.)

If the router's "client list" is a list of DHCP clients, why is it showing the APIPA address rather than the address provided by the DHCP server? And more important, how do I get it to forget about that APIPA address?

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Reboot it.

Patrick9876

Regular Contributor
I'll try that soon as I'm not using the network, but I think the problem survived a reboot I did yesterday.

Any idea why this should be happening just with a QNAP NAS and not with my 4 computers or 2 Synology NAS devices? I don't know if the Synology NASs use APIPA addresses, but I know the computers running Windows do.

Update: The reboot cleared the problem.

Last edited: