1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

How to configure a local IPv6 address prefix on Asuswrt-Merlin?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by wuzan, May 27, 2020.

1. wuzan

wuzan New Around Here

Hi,

I would like to configure a static local IPv6 address prefix (as defined by RFC 4193 Unique Local IPv6 Unicast Addresses) on my RT-AC87U router using Asuswrt-Merlin.

After looking at the documentation, I cannot find a way to do that. Any idea?

I already enabled SSH connection if that is needed to perform such configuration.

2. maxnl

maxnl New Around Here

Hey,

I've been looking to setup something similar myself.

I found this old thread here and the dhcpc-event script seems to set the IPv6 address on the router. My current IPv6 settings on the router work for my ISP, and by default appear to setup dnsmasq to properly advertise all IPv6 prefixes active in the router.

IPv6 settings:
    Connection type - Native
    DHCP-PD - Enabled
    Release prefix on exit - Enabled
    Auto Configuration Setting - Stateless
    Enable Router Advertisement - Enabled

Unfortunately, this setup does not seem reliable. It appears that every time the router updates it's ISP-provided IPv6 address/prefix it's dropping the statically set one I use in the script. Even though the script is theoretically supposed to re-add the address on all dhcpc events, it still appears to drop from time to time.

It hasn't been the biggest concern thus far, but I'd like to be able to get this working if possible. It looks like some other routers have this functionality built in with a simple checkbox.

Let me know if you or anyone else have any idea!