What's new

How to connect an ethernet device to wireless network on the same subnet of the router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Arun Bhushan

New Around Here
Hi I have a wireless router on the ground floor which has DHCP server running.

Now on the next floor, I have a device which has an ethernet port and I want to connect this device to the earlier said wireless network(Have considerable wifi strength here), but want it to be in the same subnet of my actual router and be accessible by other resources connected to the wireless router on the ground floor.

If i use a repeater with an ethernet jack (Netgear ex2700, TP link WA850RE), will the device be in the new subnet created by the repeater/extender or that of the ground floor router?

What happens if i use another router in bridge mode? in the bridge mode, will the device get an ip belonging to the subnet of the actual router?

Can somebody please help me with what is the best way that I can achieve my requirement?

You used to be able to buy devices specifically for this purpose, they were called a "Wireless Ethernet Bridge".

You don't seem to be able to buy them anymore, probably because it's not cost effect to make a single function device. Most manuafactures sell routers, access points or repeaters that can be put into a "wireless bridge" mode. Asus calls it Media Bridge mode.

Carefully check the manual for the device you're looking at. You want something as cheap as possible that fulfils your needs. There's no point buying an expensive wireless router that has lots of functions you're never going to use.

If in AP mode, repeater mode, or media bridge mode...it should all be in the same subnet as the router itself. All three of those modes in theory should be Layer2 only with no Layer3 features enabled.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!