What's new

How to connect my access point to the router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hopper82

New Around Here
i will be an adding a 2nd router to wireless my network (this 2nd router will be configured as an access point). The product is Dlink dir-615
http://www.dlink.co.in/products/?pid=349

does this access point have to be connected to the 1st with an ethernet cable OR can it connects wirelessly ? its going to hard to oull a long cable.

If your second router can function as an access point in repeater mode or as a repeater, then no...you don't have to have it physically cabled in. If it can't function in that mode, then yes...you need it cabled.

Many routers don't offer the repeater mode because they are primarily configured as a stand-alone access point device in addition to the router part.

Do keep in mind that an access point in repeater mode will have speed degradation due to the fact that it will be carrying your signals connecting to it as well as the repeated signal to the main wireless access point.

Wireless access points are hubs and only half-duplex, so you could certainly see a performance hit on the second one.