What's new

Unbound How to disable dnsmasq?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Khadanja

As I would like to see client IP or names in unbound log like Diversion instead of 127.0.0.1.

As I would like to see client IP or names in unbound log like Diversion instead of 127.0.0.1.
Does this Advanced menu command help?

Last edited:
Th
Does this Advanced menu command help?
Thanks that worked. is it possible to show device names instead of IP in log? Also, on another note my Ubuntu VM in bridged network mode is unable to get IP anymore since I installed unbound, hope it's just a coincidence. It was getting IP from the DHCP range before, Virtual box on a Win 10 laptop.

....is it possible to show device names instead of IP in log?
For enhanced reporting purposes you can use a grep script against the unbound log and simply tag the IP logged with its current Hostname or a lookup table of your choice.
Also, on another note my Ubuntu VM in bridged network mode is unable to get IP anymore since I installed unbound,
Not aware that installing unbound seemingly breaks dnsmasq DHCP functionality?

Do ALL of your clients fail to get an IP?

Perhaps you could temporarily attempt to assign a static IP to your Ubuntu VM to prove dnsmasq DHCP is still functioning?

e.g. dnsmasq directive
Code:
dhcp-host={[MAC_address | HOST_name]},{IP_address}

For enhanced reporting purposes you can use a grep script against the unbound log and simply tag the IP logged with its current Hostname or a lookup table of your choice.

Perhaps you could temporarily attempt to assign a static IP to your Ubuntu VM to prove dnsmasq DHCP is still functioning?

e.g. dnsmasq directive
Code:
Other clients are getting IP, I'll check the VM. Also, is it possible to block a list like these using DNS firewall?
I tried but looks like DNS firewall is looking for a particular format of list.
I would like to block all Malware and Adult content, previously I was using 1.1.1.3 & 1.0.0.3 with Diversion and it was working very well.

e.g. dnsmasq directive
Code:
Sorry I didn't word it correctly, VM is getting IP but unable to resolve name server. It's running cloudron which also installs unbound, could that be the reason? Any idea how to fix it?

Sorry I didn't word it correctly, VM is getting IP but unable to resolve name server. It's running cloudron which also installs unbound, could that be the reason? Any idea how to fix it?
Resolved this issue by adding in cloudron unbound config
/etc/unbound/unbound.conf.d/custom.conf:

server:
private-domain: "cloudron.lan"
domain-insecure: "cloudron.lan"

forward-zone:
name: "."
forward-addr: router ip

Also, is it possible to block a list like these using DNS firewall?
I tried but looks like DNS firewall is looking for a particular format of list.
The unbound_manager DNS Firewall is indeed in RPZ format, but can't recall if @juched's AdBlock scripts supports the format of those URLs, so may work as-is if added to 'blocksites'