What's new

How to enable IPv6 in Access Point mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nextweek

New Around Here
Good morning,

I am currently running my RT-AC66U in access point mode due to my ISP requiring the use of their pre-configured router.

Because the router is in access point mode I do not get the IPv6 tab that seems to be available:
http://event.asus.com/2012/nw/dummy_ui/en/Advanced_IPv6_Content.html

I'd like to enable the stateless link local IPv6 on the device to test that other IPv6 devices can connect to the router.

Does anybody know the best way to enable IPv6 for my device?

I am running the latest Merlin firmware.

in AP mode it is pointless. Whichever IP or IPv6 that is used by the IP is meaningless except for you to access it for the purpose of logging in and managing in. Feel free to set some crazy IP for it and watch it work normally. To enable ipv6 you can use the default way or you can have the router hand out IPV6 addresses via DHCP and you test by using one ipv6 device to access another ipv6 device.

To enable ipv6 you can use the default way
I'm sorry but you really need to take a step back and look at how much you are actually helping with your reply. Clearly if the default way was working I wouldn't be posting a question on how to enable IPv6. The LAN IP settings page contains no details on IPv6. IPv6 contains the ability to self allocate link local addresses via SLAAC.

I use my device as a DLNA server and Samba server, so IPv6 can be used for more than just managing the device. I want to test, learn and understand IPv6, the router is certainly capable. Don't suppress the desire to learn just because you're not interested.

I am asking for information in-case someone else has already trodden the path. How can the UI be enabled, if not how can I change the settings in the configuration files?

If you can't directly connect your router to your ISP (or at least bridge the modem they provide), this exercise will be fruitless.

IPv6 is not anywhere close to a working standard yet. If you cannot bridge your ISP's router or directly connect to them with the RT-AC66U, better to just read all you can about IPv6 rather than learn a limited version of it with the hoops you'll need to go through.

The RT-AC66U is also one of the very first of the first generation AC routers that were available over 3 years ago. I would question if the hardware handles IPv6 properly by itself.

I know the much newer models seem to handle it with no problems depending on the ISP they are used with, but can't recall the last time I read that the RT-AC66U did.

Btw, SEM did give you helpful information. If you come to ask for help, be prepared for answers you didn't expect. We're all trying to help each other here and can only offer what we know.

If you don't like the replies so far, just be patient and maybe others can address your issues more directly.

A router in AP mode, is a layer two device. Which means the DHCP and routing is provided elsewhere on your network If your DHCP Server supports it, that's where the IPv6 Addresses will be served from, if not, then it's IPv4.

EDIT: I'm running a R7000 with Xvortex / Merlin FW, in AP mode. It looks to me that IPV6 is not an option.

EDIT2: Clarification, IPV4 for AP management. Depends on your DHCP Server for IPV6 allocation..

Last edited:
Good morning,

I am currently running my RT-AC66U in access point mode due to my ISP requiring the use of their pre-configured router.

Because the router is in access point mode I do not get the IPv6 tab that seems to be available:
http://event.asus.com/2012/nw/dummy_ui/en/Advanced_IPv6_Content.html

I'd like to enable the stateless link local IPv6 on the device to test that other IPv6 devices can connect to the router.

Does anybody know the best way to enable IPv6 for my device?

I am running the latest Merlin firmware.
For any body ever looking for the answer to this question.

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6 inside /jffs/scripts/init-start will ensure the AP gets assigned an IPV6 address.

########This part below is really not needed since the assigned ipv6 address is mapped to part of the hardware address, so the address remains constant as long as prefix doesn't change#####
from there a static address can also be assigned using

ip -6 addr add [Some network ipv6-prefix]::feed/64 dev br0

Last edited:
You may get better options/ideas thrown your way if you give us a bit more info.
Who's your ISP? do you have to use their equipment as a router, or can it be bridged?
how much of a v6 allocation do they give you? a /64? a /56? a /48?

as far as you learning, go take the first few levels at ipv6.he.net/certification it should be all most home user/admins would need, but there are deeper parts in the rabbit hole to dive into as well

Status
Not open for further replies.