What's new

How to enable ssh/web access from VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Turgut Kalfaoglu

Regular Contributor
Hi there. I have the VPN Client enabled and working on my RT-AC68U, and I can SSH to it from LAN..

I would like to be able to SSH to it from LAN *and* to its VPN IP address too.. So that when I'm away from home, I can still access the router when I enable my VPN..
How can I do that? Thanks!

Hi there. I have the VPN Client enabled and working on my RT-AC68U, and I can SSH to it from LAN..

I would like to be able to SSH to it from LAN *and* to its VPN IP address too.. So that when I'm away from home, I can still access the router when I enable my VPN..
You need to enable OpenVPN server on router, and connect to the VPN using an OpenVPN client of your choice on your laptop/tablet/phone. Once connected, it functions as if you were on LAN so there is nothing further to enable in order to access router via ssh or web GUI.

Use DDNS and connect to that hostname.

Once connected to the VPN you can SSH to the router via the local IP.

I think the OP's problem here is that he's trying to access the router via SSH over the *WAN* while the OpenVPN client is connected. And normally that's NOT possible because any attempt to access *any* router services over the WAN while the router itself is bound to a local OpenVPN client will have its replies sent over the VPN rather than back over the WAN.

Enabling the OpenVPN server will NOT help, since it too is a service made available over the WAN. All the OpenVPN server will do is provide a more secure means to engage in remote access. But again, by itself, it doesn't address the OP's immediate problem.

What the OP needs to do is use the VPN Director w/ the OpenVPN client, even if that means routing the entire local IP network over the VPN (e.g., 192.168.1.0/24). By doing so, this removes the router itself from the VPN, making its various services (SSH, OpenVPN server, etc.) accessible again over the WAN.

Reading your post and the replies, I’m not fully sure what you want to do. However, I will tell you my setup and what it allows me to do.

I have OpenVPN Server on my router (and the OpenVPN client on my laptop and Apple devices). With an OpenVPN remote connection from an external network to my router, I can use an SSH client to SSH into my router.