What's new

How to expand coverage to 2nd floor with wired Access Point?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wirelessroute

Occasional Visitor
Hi I currently have an Asus rt-ac66u router. I want to extend the signal strength and speed to some areas on the 2nd floor of my home where signal is ok but speeds die to around 1-2meg.
I am looking for recommendation on access point to purchase that will fit my needs. I want to connect the new AP via Ethernet back to the Asus router
I've noticed a lot of extenders that simply take the wireless signal and repeat it. I'd rather have something that will connect back via Ethernet for faster speeds. The extenders are half duplex right ?
What access point do your recommend that has dual band 2.4 and 5ghz? I want to extend the existing SSID for both 2.4 and 5ghz so close clients can connict to the AP, any issues or conflicts doing this?

Asus have an access point for about $90, the EA-N66. You can use it as a repeater, access point and Ethernet adapter.

Yeah sounds like what i am looking for, man its expensive anything in the $50n0 range or any router that I can turn into Access point ?

AP Suggestions

Almost any router can be converted or used as an AP. Software/firmware is o an issue if you want to set up a unit as a wireless repeater.

There is a detailed how to do it article on this site.

Basic steps:

1. Turn off DHCP on router you want to make into an AP.

2. Run an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on your router to a LAN port on the AP.

3. Then decide on the channel you want to use and a SSID.

Your cost for an AP will be driven by if you want/need a N AP and if you need both 2.4GHZ and 5 GHZ radios.

If you can get by with just 2.4 MHZ G then $50 should be plenty of budget. You can even get a good N unit if you are willing to buy refurbished units. I pick up 54Gs flashed with DD-WRT for around $40 and they work fine as APs in poor WiFi areas in my home.

Here is a picture of what I want to do

[RT-AC66U]<-- wire Ethernet to 2nd floor --> [Netgear unmanaged 4 port switch]<-- wire Ethernet -->[AP or Repeater ??] >>>> Broadcasting same SSID for 2.4 and 5 ghz has RT-AC66U on 1st floor.

If I can do this with any wireless router maybe I can pickup a refurbished Linksys?
Like this one > http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Ro...Gigabit_stcVVproductId149471029VVviewprod.htm
$40 refurbished has gig ports, 300+ 300 simultaneous.

Last edited:
1. Turn off DHCP on router you want to make into an AP.

Before that, give it a static IP address so you can still reach it for configuration.

Can be done by setting an explicit static IP or setting your real DHCP server to give it a static IP based on MAC (I'm using both ways because one of the routers I use doesn't support DHCP client on LAN when set up as access point).

But I agree that buying a router to use as access point is usually a cheaper solution than buying a dedicated access point.

[RT-AC66U]<-- wire Ethernet to 2nd floor --> [Netgear unmanaged 4 port switch]<-- wire Ethernet -->[AP or Repeater ??] >>>> Broadcasting same SSID for 2.4 and 5 ghz has RT-AC66U on 1st floor.

If I can do this with any wireless router maybe I can pickup a refurbished Linksys?
Like this one > http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Ro...Gigabit_stcVVproductId149471029VVviewprod.htm

You've got it pretty much nailed, except most people here agree that for a home network, use separate SSID names for each access point. It makes it easier to troubleshoot reception problems if you can pick which AP you're connecting to.

What you have outlined will work, but why not just buy a router and use it as an AP instead of using two pieces of equipment (AP + Switch)? You would be able to use three of the LAN ports on the upstairs router/AP as wired Ethernet ports.

Also my preference is to use different SSIDs on all APs so that a user can quickly determine which AP they are attached to and so if necessary connect to an AP that has or should have the strongest signal.

Awesome ordered a refurb linksys/cisco e4200v2, should be more than enough for upstairs. Will let you guys know how it goes.

What you have outlined will work, but why not just buy a router and use it as an AP instead of using two pieces of equipment (AP + Switch)? You would be able to use three of the LAN ports on the upstairs router/AP as wired Ethernet ports.

Also my preference is to use different SSIDs on all APs so that a user can quickly determine which AP they are attached to and so if necessary connect to an AP that has or should have the strongest signal.
I second this. Ane $40 WiFi router will do, or one long retired, or discarded by a friend.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!