What's new

How to find corrent Wan Ip for remote access?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JasonUK

Occasional Visitor
I have setup an RT-AC5300 and whilst I can login with 192.168.1.1 it doesn’t show me the WAN IP for remote access.

WAN IP: 192.168.xx.xx

Why is this? How to fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have a double NAT situation, the modem it is connected to is actually being a router, not just a modem.

Yes its sky hub, no option for modem-only mode so I just disabled WiFi. Is there another fix?

Get a modem. I used a BT Openreach when I was with Sky. Draytek 130 is another good option.

You could port forward on your modemrouter and activate DDNS (external) asuscomm to have access, on Merlin it will work even in doubleNAT, no need for different modem, only little more work with port forwardings.

You could port forward on your modemrouter and activate DDNS (external) asuscomm to have access, on Merlin it will work even in doubleNAT, no need for different modem, only little more work with port forwardings.

Set up port forwarding on the sky hub? I’m not very experienced in all this [emoji85]

Set up port forwarding on the sky hub? I’m not very experienced in all this [emoji85]

Hence you’d be much better off with a device made for the job per my suggestion.
The only thing you then have to do is add the DHCP Option 61 string (google for Sky DHCP 61) on the 5300 (the option is only available in Merlin FW).

Worth noting you should NOT be allowing WAN remote access as well, it’s a massive security issue. Much better to use the VPN capability of the router.

Hence you’d be much better off with a device made for the job per my suggestion.
The only thing you then have to do is add the DHCP Option 61 string (google for Sky DHCP 61) on the 5300 (the option is only available in Merlin FW).

Worth noting you should NOT be allowing WAN remote access as well, it’s a massive security issue. Much better to use the VPN capability of the router.

My 5300 is on the latest Merlin FW. Would you still recommend getting a standalone modem for the job or do you think it’s ok to let the 5300 handle the modem job too?

I have allowed remote access on both my setups. For VPN, do I need to purchase some IP’s? I have 22 dedicated IP’s I have been paying for, for about 5yrs and never abused.

71ee9c3f36f00e6232e7cccaf95d054d.jpg

You need a proper modem (one of the 2 I recommended) still.
And no need to purchase IPs, just enable DDNS on the router and use the hostname to find the dynamic IP (you’d have to do this for WAN remote access as well anyway).

You may not have been abused yet, but if someone nasty finds port 80/443/22 open I assure you they will take advantage! Better safe than sorry.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!