What's new

How to force all DNS requests through pihole?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Old-Timer1

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys,

Just found an old thread on reddit that shows you how to force all traffic through pihole if you have an asus router.

Here's the thread:

I am just looking at my Asus Router and it looks like "DNS Filter" is now caled "DNS Director" but I just want to know to force all traffic through Pihole, do I choose "No Redirection" or "router" from the "redirection" dropdown in my router?

https://ibb.co/z4YLwgc

I have an RT-AC86U

Thank you guys

See my post here that has a general way to setup Pi-Hole on Asus-Merlin. You generally want to use Asus-Merlin because you can block the router (setting Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS to No) from including itself as a DNS address. Generally, if you have the Pi-Hole in the LAN DHCP DNS fields you would set the DNS Director (formerly DNSFilter) similar to the following (remember to hit the apply button to save the settings):

NOTE: Post edited to include updated image based on DNS Director rather than the older DNS Filter.
386.9 DNS Director.jpg

What is supposed to happen with the settings detailed is any DNS request that bypasses Pi-Hole will hit the router and it's DNS Director which will route the DNS request back to the Pi-Hole. Note that certain browser settings (DoH) may bypass the DNS Director setting(s).

Last edited:
@bennor Note that the terminology used on that page has changed, hence the OP's question. "Global Filter Mode" is now "Global Redirection, "Filter Mode" is now "Redirection", and "No Filtering" is now "No Redirection".

@bennor Note that the terminology used on that page has changed, hence the OP's question. "Global Filter Mode" is now "Global Redirection, "Filter Mode" is now "Redirection", and "No Filtering" is now "No Redirection".
Edit: Above post image corrected to reflect DNS Director rather than DNS Filter

Last edited:
Thanks! I finally have pihole working on my network. For me, it was ignoring the "Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS" should be set to NO" step. I was also quite confused about the WAN setting. I really didn't understand that the initial WAN setting is used (and NEEDED for reboot) by the router, but not used by the clients when the filter is set. I still use diversion and skynet, and with the trifecta of pihole/diversion/skynet I'm having an excellent browsing experience. One note, I have taught my significant other to use a VPN to bypass this filtering morass when needed - that's a very important part of this setup also. Thanks again guys.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!