What's new

How to force dual WAN Hot-Ready?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nord_musician

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I've been messing around with dual WAN on my 68U (I've chose failover mode) for a while now and it's all cool and dandy until I try to access the 2nd router's configuration gui while my WAN 1 is up and running.

I noticed the 2nd WAN would go on Cold-Standby mode and no IP address would be listed on the network map page (even tho it's set as static on its own WAN config section within the 68U). So therefore I can't even think of setting any static routes without the 68U being able to see an IP address from the 2nd WAN.

Is there any way to keep the 2nd WAN in Hot-Ready mode without preventing fallback to my main WAN?

Thanks

Last edited:
Anyone? :( Does the connection goes on cold-standby because of no activity? Wondering if there is a script or something simple via SSH command to atomatically send ping packets to my other router in case that's the reason why it goes on standby instead of ready

Is this in relation to your routing question? Can you just layout your network topology and tell us what you’re trying to do?

It sounds like you have two routers? The second one is back-up and it’s WAN is connected to main router’s LAN as the second WAN?

Yeah, it is. There is no way to access anything if the IP address shown on WAN2 is 0.0.0.0, which only turns to 192.168.8.2 when the connection is been switched to it or when it fallsback to WAN1, it kind of stays alive in Hot-Ready for a while and the goes completely off and back to 0.0.0.0.

My connection goes like this:

ISP 1 -> Router 1 -> Switch -> Clients
ISP 2 -> Router 2 -> Router 1

Router 1: 192.168.1.1
Router 2: 192.168.8.1 - Pretty much set as bridge (firewall disabled, dhcp server disabled, wifi disabled)

Dual Wan config: Router 1 (ISP 1 failover to ISP 2 from Router 2) - Router1 has a static IP address (192.168.8.2) to be able to get internet from Router 2 (192.168.8.1)

When the connection (ISP 1) failsover Router 2, I can access its webconfig page (http://192.168.8.1), but if the connection is not active, Router 1 wont even recognize its own IP address for Router 2 as it's set to 0.0.0.0 on the WAN 2 tab, while WAN 1 tab stays as its usual 192.168.1.1. Something tells me it's a way for Router 1 can only have ONE IP address for itself, either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.8.2, BUT when it failsback to ISP1, only for a while, Router 1 has BOTH IP addresses and I can access its config page with both http://192.168.1.1 and http://192.168.8.2, I can even acess http://192.168.8.1 (although sometimes I would get redirected to Router 1's config page instead of Router 2's config page) .

Now my question is: is there a way to keep Router 2's connection alive (Hot-Ready) (maybe through constant ping t without messing with failover/fallback rules)? Maybe Merlin can shed some light on the matter? It could be a limitation for the Asus router itself, I don't know :(

Last edited:
Now my question is: is there a way to keep Router 2's connection alive (Hot-Ready) (maybe through constant ping t without messing with failover/failback rules)? Maybe Merlin can shed some light on the matter? It could be a limitation for the Asus router itself

I don’t think a constant ping would keep it on, because it didn’t go into standby due to lack of network activity, but rather it is intentional behaviour when in failover or fallback mode.

Why do you need the second subnet/router though? Can’t you just plug ISP 2’s connection directly to the LAN port? Are you setting up special with the second subnet? :/

ISP 2 it's a cell connection, I use a Huawei B315s-22 router. I plug the Huawei to the 68U. A different subnet makes sure that no other device will ever get the same ip address as the Huawei

A different subnet makes sure that no other device will ever get the same ip address as the Huawei

Where would the Huawei get an IP from other than the public IP?

Have you actually tried to force the dual wan to kick in? What happens if you
1) Remove all the static IPs and routes you set up before
2) Set Huawei to bridge mode, seems like you can do that: http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/Huawei/B315s-22_-_DNA/Bridge_Mode.htm
3) Set the appropriate dual WAN settings
4) Disconnect from ISP 1 and see if you still have connectivity

The Huawei gets the public IP from its ISP, but it has a local static IP address for itself (192.168.8.1) and the Asus on the WAN2 section has 192.168.8.2 for the Asus itself

1) Table is empty
2) The option to set the roter as bridge on the DNA firmware just disables all the router options, which is how I have it right now without any operator branding
3) Good to go
4) All good

The Huawei gets the public IP from its ISP, but it has a local static IP address for itself (192.168.8.1) and the Asus on the WAN2 section has 192.168.8.2 for the Asus itself

1) Table is empty
2) The option to set the roter as bridge on the DNA firmware just disables all the router options, which is how I have it right now without any operator branding
3) Good to go
4) All good

Ah ok, so all your dual wan settings are working as you expect?

Now the only problem you have is that you want to be able to access the huawei web gui from your LAN but can’t because the connection is in standby due to failover/fallback mode?

Hi! Sorry if this thread is already dead, but I've found the answer to this question after researching for waaay too many hours.
I want to post the solution here for those who stumble across this problem on google!

The solution:
Use the following shell command
Code:
service "restart_wan_if 1"
to restart the DualWAN interface, and get it prepped and associated with an IP.

Further information can be found in this post https://www.snbforums.com/threads/your-isps-dhcp-does-not-function-properly.40947/#post-344906
Good luck!