What's new

How to forward a spoof mac address from client on router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Starbuck99

Occasional Visitor
I have a AppleTV with a fixed mac address.
I also have a Asus RT-AC86U router.

How can I spoof the AppleTV mac address to the WAN?
E.g. Mac Address of Apple TV is X - I want the outside traffic to see AppleTV Mac Address as Y - using the router to assign the spoof MAC address to outside traffic?

Reason.... we have a paid streaming subscription which only allows 3 devices. Devices are locked on the Mac Address.

In order to add a 4th device the AppleTV needs to have the same Mac Address as one of the other 3 authenticated devices.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

You can "clone" any MAC address you want onto the WAN interface by using that option in the router's GUI. But MAC addresses only exist in their local network so the only thing that will see it is the ISP equipment your router or modem is connected to. If Apple are restricting their services based on the client's MAC address they're not picking it up from the WAN interface (or the router), they must be picking it up in the application software. So you would have to "hack" the application.

Last edited: