What's new

How to get (multiplayer) Nintendo Switch to work over IPv6, avoiding CGNAT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smartypants

New Around Here
Hi guys and gals, I'm currently with a broadband provider that offers IPv4 via CGNAT. Because of this I can't use port forwarding and have my Asus RT-AX88U (running the latest Merlin) configured to use Native IPv6. This works well for almost all normal daily internet usage and I can externally access my home network where needed.

However, my kids are trying to play Nintendo Switch multiplayer games and the console complains about being on NAT C (or sometimes D). According to online instructions the Switch requires a (large) number of ports to be opened, which obviously doesn't work via CGNAT. It doesn't appear to support IPv6 at all.

I have already checked with my provider if I can opt out of CGNAT or if I can get a static IP, but both are not available. I'm quite keen to stay with this bunch as I'm getting a good discount via my employer.

I was looking at software called Juniper, which has an option to do NAT46. Not sure if I'm reading this right, but it appears to translate IPv4 addresses on the local network to IPv6 on WAN. Not sure if this would then still require or allow ports to be opened. Anyway, is a tool similar to this available via Entware or are there alternative solutions?

If the Switch doesn't support IPv6 then no amount NAT translation will help you because the other Switches trying to connect to you have no knowledge/support of your IPv6 address.