What's new

How to get workstations connected to 3 routers to connect to each other

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

john console

New Around Here
Hi i use Verizon FIOS for my internet connection. i am using 2 OpenWrt Routers. My LAN setup is illustrated below.

Router #1, 2 and 3 can access the internet - no issues. I need to get workstations on Router #1 and Router #3 to be able to connect to each other. i have spen 3 days trying to setup static routes but no luck. BTW the routers come from gl-inet.com. they are great and come pre-loaded with openwrt.

Please help - Thank you in advance for your assistance!

| Router #1
| My Fios Router
| Gets address from FIOS
| DHCP SERVER
| Router IP: 192.168.1.1
| DHCP RANGE 192.168.1.100-200

| Router #2: GL-MT300A
| OpenWRT Router
| Gets address from Router #1:192.168.1.179
| DHCP SERVER
| Router IP: 192.168.43.1
| DCHP RANGE 192.168.43.100-200

| Router #3: GL-AR300M
| OpenWRT Router
| Gets address from Router #2: 192.168.43.158
| DHCP SERVER
| Router IP: 192.168.168.1
| DHCP RANGE 192.168.168.100-200

You could just forward the ports since you're doing double-NAT but this is sub-optimal.

Or you could disable DHCP on router 2 & 3 and have them function as switches. Do you need 3 separate networks? If not, just put everything in the same subnet by disabling DHCP on everything but router 1.

previously i had just router #2 connect to router #1 using wireless. If the connection breaks then the workstations connected to router #2 via wireless will loose its IP. I had found in this forum that it is what OpenWRT will do- the wireless interface will go down.
This is for a land based drone- a rc vehicle with 2 single board linux computers and IoT devices connected (currently) wireless to Router #3. Previously i had it connect wireless to router #2 but when router #2 looses (wireless) connection to router #1 then the devices will loose it ip and you cant log onto router #2 wireless.
Thats why i added Router #3. Now when router #2 looses wireless connection to Router #1, router #3 continues to function normally.
regards,