What's new

How to give a single device priority? without QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

akb

I recently upgraded to a fiber 1G/1G link and want to disable Adaptive QoS as its not needed. I still want to be able to give a single device in my network the highest priority for everything, specifically anything to retain the latency. Is there anything I can do which does not evolve QoS as I do not care about the other devices? I am unable to do traditional QoS as the HW Acceleration will need to be turned off.

Why? If your bandwidth is not limited.

The best I can think of is to run the best fastest PC. It will process data faster than all other PCs.

If you want to slow down the other machines make them run on a slower switch maybe 100 meg.

Even though I have 1Gb fiber, I have a household where up to 5 netflix streams at 4k HDR which can put some nasty latency spikes on my end. I remote desktop to multiple environments for work, and notice latency issues at peak household hours. I was wondering if I can do something with this single asus device, but looks like I am going to have a second AP to try work around it.

There is no way 5 4K Netflix streams are effecting your 1 Gb fiber bandwidth.

Maybe you need a faster router or switch. Look to your equipment, cabling, or wireless network.

PS
How about a network diagram.

Last edited:
It all goes hand and hand. Look to your local network.

If you want fast switching look to a layer 3 switch as you can isolate other devices from each other.

PS
If you are not using wireless and your latency is climbing then more than likely you need faster hardware. It could be a distribution of hardware to distribute the network load. Hard to know with a network diagram.

Last edited:
connect them with older only 100Mb/s LAN cables or maybe set it with SSH on router to 100, so they all could get 500Mb/s maximum leaving you more than enough.

A couple of things.. Sounds like your router is running out of steam, and, or some switch misery... If you are worried about latency, why would you connect to your work via wifi?

A couple of things.. Sounds like your router is running out of steam, and, or some switch misery... If you are worried about latency, why would you connect to your work via wifi?

I do connect wired when I dock at my desk, but those times when I want to work in front of the tv or outside in the fresh air. Going to go with new hardware to fix this, just was hoping there might be some way to go about this on the merlin.

I do connect wired when I dock at my desk, but those times when I want to work in front of the tv or outside in the fresh air. Going to go with new hardware to fix this, just was hoping there might be some way to go about this on the merlin.
You didn't mention which router was being used