What's new

How to handle Router upgrade without pain?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lifeisfun

Regular Contributor
I like to upgrade from AC87U to AC3100 can I just save the config from the old router and restore it on the new router?
( I would first upgrade the new router to same Merlin firmware version)
I just can't imagine to redo all my home automation , reset all Google Home devices and so on.

Thanks

I like to upgrade from AC87U to AC3100 can I just save the config from the old router and restore it on the new router?
No, absolutely not. The save files are just backups for that specific router. They are not transferable to another router, not even one of the same model.

No, absolutely not. The save files are just backups for that specific router. They are not transferable to another router, not even one of the same model.
Thanks for reply, that's unfortunate :(
I seriously can't imagine to re-do it all.

Oh, one more question, If I name the new WiFi networks same, and they will have the same password, will all the devices connect without the need of redoing the wife set up on each of them ?
My main concerns are wireless cameras, and other headless devices.
Thanks

Oh, one more question, If I name the new WiFi networks same and they will have the same password will all the devices connect without the need of redoing the wife set up on each of them ?
Thanks
Yes

Oh, one more question, If I name the new WiFi networks same, and they will have the same password, will all the devices connect without the need of redoing the wife set up on each of them ?
Thanks
Yes..... maybe.

In most cases they will reconnect with no problems. However, if you read through various forum posts you will find numerous examples of people reporting "strange" WiFi issues after changing their router. Or even on the same router after a major firmware update. In such cases the first recommendation (it's in the FAQ) is to "forget" the network connection on the effected devices and recreate it. This sorts out many of these problems.

Just to reinforce what Colin said.

When I upgraded from an AC68 running 384.9 to a AC86 running the same firmware and used the the same WiFi SSIDs and passwords all devices with the exception of my Iphone had no problem with the switch. My Iphone would connect on the 2.4 GHz but not the 5 GHz. Had to relearn this network.

To make it even stranger my wife's Iphone which is the same model as mine didn't exhibit this problem.

The point being if you have strange problems the starting point for solving them is forgetting then relearning the network.

can't imagine to re-do it all.

your upgrade may be a good time to document everything and redo it all
because very often people here to factory reset and redo the same router
in order to enjoy some of the latest asus/merlin features.

when i transitioned between a dd-wrt linksys to a merlin asus
i documented all my subtle settings, and have had to use and
update them at least twice in the past year due to reset needs.

another practical consideration you may want to duplicate is;
i keep both old and new router at about the same wifi settings,
that way if my ac3100 fails or i need many hours to work on it
i can simply put my old router up with minimal changes and
after a power cycle, all my clients continue humming along.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!