What's new

How to handle several WebUI on RaspberryPi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jorgemarmo

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I have a project, I would like to attach a raspberry pi 4 with "raspberry pi OS lite" on my local network with:
- jDownloader2
- Deluge
- pi-hole
- samba
- (not yet defined) GPIOs with web control

foe each of those, there are some, or even many web interfaces and I guess some of them, the ones accessed by IP on the local network, may get in "conflict"?
- https://my.jdownloader.org/ I guess this will not be a problem since it uses an "intermediary" server....
- deluge web ui (uses Pi IP) (I could also use the ThinClient, but I would like to have both options and what would be the fun on that
;)
)
- pi.hole/admin (uses Pi IP)
- samba [Webmin or SWAT] (uses Pi IP)

I have already installed all of those but on separate devices
so the question is: if I install all of them on the same device, which web UI will show when I will access the Pi IP from the local network?

And how can one access to each of them? can probably the DNS of the pi-hole be configured to redirect to the different web UIs?

[bonus question] I have not yet used docker, but would you recommend it for this kind of project?

If you have a spare device you could try a quick and dirty setup using DietPi rather than Raspbian. You could easily have the basics up and running in under 30 minutes. For what it's worth PiHole, Deluge, and Samba should all run side by side with no problems - I'm just not sure about Jdownloader2.

If there are conflicts, then I'd probably just set the Pi up and install Docker!

If you are a total masochist then you can always try doing custom installs.

*I'll probably get roasted for oversimplifying, but keep us informed!

"conflicts" don't usually occur. Most applications, particularly for devices such as this, use distinct ports and / or url mapping. I've been running rPi since they came out and have not had an issue with conflicting apps yet.

You should be able to assign the different WebUI's to different ports...

Docker is probably overkill for a PI and what you would like to accomplish - yes, it can be done as a learning experience, but not really necessary...

If you're running headless - check out cockpit...

sfx2000 answer is imho correct. Every web service provided has underlying "webserver". In many cases it's nginx (probably lite version) or apache2.
May be you need first accumulate knowledge about nginx and apache2 ? but if you have knowledge enough for managing them then I would recommend first checking out your desired tools to find out which web server they are using.

Probably you might get a weird of a mix of nginx and apache2 on your PI due to the different tools. If so just check if it's possible to unify them either on nginx or apache2. It is not a disaster if you have both web servers running but it will make it will make everything a lot easier if you could narrow it all to just one.

Your tools should be configured in that way that you can access their web interface via your browser by typing the ip adress (or FQDN) and the correct configured port.

I don't know how much ram your PI has but in most cases the use of docker is a bit of overkill for a SOC.

Just a hint beside: Hope you have a really good microSD card for your PI because it's a lot of reading and writing in your use-case :D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!