What's new

How to install Clouddrive on Asuswrt-Merlin routers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stebrick

Regular Contributor
Clouddrive Link here: https://hub.docker.com/r/cloudnas/clouddrive

Basically with the help of clouddrive we can stream video directly from our online storage (Google Drive, OneDrive etc) without downloading anything to local harddisk. You could imagine this could possibly save a lot of hardware deployment (harddisk, nas etc) if it can be pulled off with asuswrt router.

Would it work though? Would the hardware of routers (e.g. my XT8) allow installing this kind of stuff? And how to install clouddrive on asus router? I guess Debian is required? A step-by-step tutorial would be great.

Links for reference:-

1. Video demonstration how clouddrive works with Plex - (I know, it's not linux environment, just let you have a quick idea how it works)

2. Tutorial how to install Clouddrive on openwrt router (sorry I cant find a tutorial in English, use google translate) : https://hellodk.cn/post/919

3. An old post about how to run plex on asuswrt router: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/plex-media-server-running-on-asuswrt-arm-routers.30732/

Did a quick check, Clouddrive is based on docker, and running docker on current router hardware is nearly impossible, you have to look for other ways.

Unlike Plex, where there are binaries written specifically for routers, Clouddrive doesn't, it relies on docker, and routers don't support docker.

The most important point: ROUTERS ARE NOT NAS

Did a quick check, Clouddrive is based on docker, and running docker on current router hardware is nearly impossible, you have to look for other ways.

Unlike Plex, where there are binaries written specifically for routers, Clouddrive doesn't, it relies on docker, and routers don't support docker.

The most important point: ROUTERS ARE NOT NAS

Yup, after doing a bit more research I figured out this is impossible. CloudDrive is just too demanding for router.

For plex, there are binaries for routers? I thought it requires dockers as well. Can you point me a link or such? Btw, my router is armv7.

Yup, after doing a bit more research I figured out this is impossible. CloudDrive is just too demanding for router.

For plex, there are binaries for routers? I thought it requires dockers as well. Can you point me a link or such? Btw, my router is armv7.
Yes, there are tutorials there, but probably it's an unsupported path, as the consensus among the members of the SNB forum is that routers shouldn't be used as NAS, but that's your router, and you make your own decisions.

Yes, there are tutorials there, but probably it's an unsupported path, as the consensus among the members of the SNB forum is that routers shouldn't be used as NAS, but that's your router, and you make your own decisions.

I saw that one, which reuquired chrooted environment. I wish I know how to install chrooted debian on my armv7 router :( HQT's latest tutorial is only for ArmHF kernel v4.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!