What's new

How to isolate a device from other devices on the same network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MamaLing

Occasional Visitor
Hi!
I have a problem that I'd like to resolve. I have an Asus AC68U router with Merlin firmware (Router A). This router is connected to an other router on LAN port and it's set as an Access point(Router B). What I'd like to do is, the devices that connects to router B should not see the devices on Router A. However....I have my own DNS server attached to Router A and it would be nice to benefit the devices of ad blocking DNS. But this is a secondary thing. The priority is to isolate Router B from Router A's network. Any ideal what should I do?

Reconfigure Router B in "router mode". It will then have its own subnet, e.g. 192.168.2.x. You can configure its WAN DNS to point to your upstream server if you want to (e.g. 192.168.1.99).

Then on Router B go to Firewall / Network Services Filter and block LAN access to the entire subnet of Router A.

Use the router B in router mode.

Reconfigure Router B in "router mode". It will then have its own subnet, e.g. 192.168.2.x. You can configure its WAN DNS to point to your upstream server if you want to (e.g. 192.168.1.99).

Then on Router B go to Firewall / Network Services Filter and block LAN access to the entire subnet of Router A.
Thank you! I will try it! Your advice absolutely makes sense for me!

Thank you! I will try it! Your advice absolutely makes sense for me!
What is being suggested is a double NAT setup. You need to connect from a LAN port on the first router to the WAN port on the second router.

What is being suggested is a double NAT setup. You need to connect from a LAN port on the first router to the WAN port on the second router.
Thank you! If I do that, I won't be able to manage Router B unless I connect to it's wireless network, right?

Thank you! If I do that, I won't be able to manage Router B unless I connect to it's wireless network, right?
Well you did say you wanted it isolated from the other router. ;)

However, you can enable Remote Access on Router B (Administration - System > Web Access from WAN and/or SSH) and access it by it's WAN IP address from Router A's network.

Last edited:
If you want to maximize your router B's security that is correct. If you choose the option to manage router B from the WAN then you could administer it but it then would also be a target for hackers.

If you choose the option to manage router B from the WAN then you could administer it but it then would also be a target for hackers.
Only if those hackers were located in Router A's LAN. "WAN access" isn't the same as internet access.

Well you did say you wanted it isolated from the other router. ;)

However, you can enable Remote Access on Router B (Administration - System > Web Access from WAN and/or SSH) and access it by it's WAN IP address from Router A's network.
You're right! Thank you for your advice! ;)

Hi!
I have a problem that I'd like to resolve. I have an Asus AC68U router with Merlin firmware (Router A). This router is connected to an other router on LAN port and it's set as an Access point(Router B). What I'd like to do is, the devices that connects to router B should not see the devices on Router A. However....I have my own DNS server attached to Router A and it would be nice to benefit the devices of ad blocking DNS. But this is a secondary thing. The priority is to isolate Router B from Router A's network. Any ideal what should I do?
I'm not going to tell you what to do, but I do advise you to look at this thing on amazon.com https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07WRQ9S1B/
but this helps you to have more coverage between router 1 and router 2 in fact you don't have to configure anything good if you should put the ip in router 2 as if it were connected to the first router... I have it like this router 1 192.168.50.10 - 255.255.255.0 - 192.168.50.1 in router 2 configure the following that if the ethernet cable is plugged into the blue one and there look for the IP STATIC section in LAN to WAN or vice versa I don't know how it was and in router 2 I put this 192.168 .50.70 - 255.255.255.0 - 192.168.50.1 and automatically you get the same internet if you connect to router 1 or 2 in both you have an internet connection in terms of ad filters and that for me is complicated .. better keep reading post of people who have answered you..

Last edited by a moderator: