What's new

How to log into Asus router when on VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dieter

Hello,
Not having any luck getting to the Admin screen on my Asus router using OpenVPN/DDNS.

Tried with Chrome to go to 192.168.1.1, and Chrome shows Wainting...

I am able to open shares on other computers on my network.

Any thoughts?

Did you try different browsers? Did you clear the cache? Did you log out from any/all local machines?

Did you try different browsers? Did you clear the cache? Did you log out from any/all local machines?
Tried Chrome and Firefox. Cleared cache. Same results.
Can you confirm that entering 192.168.1.1 is the correct way to get to the router admin page, once connected to the VPN?
Is there an option in the Router which would prevent setup access from VPN?

Is testing IE an option?

The 192.168.1.1 address depends on how the router is configured. Can you access it with that same address on the local network?

I don't know of any option to prevent access via a VPN either.

How fast is your ISP connection? And the connection from where you're trying this from? (Down/Up for both locations).

Are you waiting sufficient time for the connection to actually establish itself?

Have you rebooted the router lately (hard reboot; pull the power plug and wait five minutes before plugging it back in).

Is testing IE an option?

The 192.168.1.1 address depends on how the router is configured. Can you access it with that same address on the local network?

I don't know of any option to prevent access via a VPN either.

How fast is your ISP connection? And the connection from where you're trying this from? (Down/Up for both locations).

Are you waiting sufficient time for the connection to actually establish itself?

Have you rebooted the router lately (hard reboot; pull the power plug and wait five minutes before plugging it back in).
1. IE and Edge also fail.
2. 192.168.1.1 works on the LAN
3. Xfinity hot spot is 5Mpbs down/2Mbps UP on Ookla
90Mpbs down / 5Mbps UP on LAN
4. I have waited 4 minutes for Admin page to come up.
5. Router rebooted via Admin GUI. I will unplug and test again.

Could this be a problem with the RT-AC1900P?

As I said, I connect fine to the VPN server and am able to access shares on another computer on my LAN.

Hello,
Not having any luck getting to the Admin screen on my Asus router using OpenVPN/DDNS.

Tried with Chrome to go to 192.168.1.1, and Chrome shows Wainting...

I am able to open shares on other computers on my network.

Any thoughts?
Try using static IP with the computer you are trying to connect to the router.
use IP 192.168.1.50 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.1 and DNS 192.168.1.1
then try to connect to the router. if that fails press the button in the back for 5 seconds and reset the router to factory defaults
and make sure you are using a network cable that is not faulty. try another one before you reset the router

When I change to your settings, I CAN connect to the router OK over the LAN.
But I can NOT connect to my wireless ISP. Xfinity usually sets my IP to 10.233.x.x .

The issue is NOT being able to connect to the router over the LAN, but rather when using the VPN.

That's why I'm asking if I am supposed to be able to get to the ADMIN page when on the VPN?
As I said, I can ping the router when on the VPN.

When I change to your settings, I CAN connect to the router OK over the LAN.
But I can NOT connect to my wireless ISP. Xfinity usually sets my IP to 10.233.x.x .

The issue is NOT being able to connect to the router over the LAN, but rather when using the VPN.

That's why I'm asking if I am supposed to be able to get to the ADMIN page when on the VPN?
As I said, I can ping the router when on the VPN.
You should be able to have VPN on the wi fi as w ell along with being able to connect to the router.
Do you have Enable Manual Assignment on?

You should be able to have VPN on the wi fi as w ell along with being able to connect to the router.
Do you have Enable Manual Assignment on?
There is no such config option in my OpenVPN setup