What's new

How to make WiFi SLOWER ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

enewmen

Occasional Visitor
Hi all.

I have a n66u, works great.
But some people on the Wifi use Skype, MSN, & YouTube too often. Rather than block the connection completely (Parental control does this well), how can I limit the speed? - so I can do REAL work - on the LAN - faster.

Better to limit Wifi on a specific address. Can this be done? 1mbps down and 100kbps up is plenty for them.

I looked at QOS and Wireless Professional, but I'm not sure if that's what I want..
I am sure I'm missing something obvious.

Any ideas?
thanks!

Last edited:
You might be able to do it using QOS. Try configuring the upload/download speed of one class to match what you want to throttle them at, then assign all MAC addresses you want to throttle to that new class.

Hi.

I got it to work using QOS after playing around with it and I used the MAC address in case the IP changes.. I also used the "Lowest" class for all selected MAC addresses so I don't interfere with the normal flows.
I just need to remember to put all the other classes to full 100% so my PC never gets throttled - QOS got enabled.

Thanks again!

One more thing: What does "Transferred" mean in the QOS screen?

Last edited:
With Transferred you can set up rules so a certain connection works at full speed as long as it only transfers smaller amounts of data, but gets throttled when it exceeds a limit.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!