What's new

How to manually create a tap0 interface

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jeffrey Young

Very Senior Member
Good morning everyone.

I am trying to create a tap0 device to add to the br0 bridge so I can get to my network using Softethervpn. I am using this solution in order to get past the CGNET created by by ISP as Softethervpn uses a AZURE relay service.

I am trying to issue the following command, but I am getting a "
open: No such file or directory", which I am assuming is because there is no tap0 device.

Code:
ip tuntap add mode tap tap0

Does busy box have another means of adding a tap interface?

Good morning everyone.

I am trying to create a tap0 device to add to the br0 bridge so I can get to my network using Softethervpn. I am using this solution in order to get past the CGNET created by by ISP as Softethervpn uses a AZURE relay service.

I am trying to issue the following command, but I am getting a "
open: No such file or directory", which I am assuming is because there is no tap0 device.

Code:
ip tuntap add mode tap tap0

Does busy box have another means of adding a tap interface?
You may try:
Code:
ip tuntap add dev tap0 mod tap

Thanks, after some more reading and testing, it turned out that the tun.ko kernel module had not been loaded. I am guessing that the module is not loaded unless the internal OpenVPN server is used.

The tun0.ko module is hiding at /lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/drivers/net/tun.ko

So, this finally worked;

Code:
modprobe /lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/drivers/net/tun.ko
ip tntap add mode tap tap0
ip link set dev tap0 up

All that is left to do is add tap0 to the br0 bridge (have not tested yet), but should be something like this;

Code:
brctl addif br0 tap0

and adjust the br0_ifnames nvram entry.

Just not sure if I need to add any other nvram entries??? Any help here would be appreciated.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!