What's new

How to Network computers to share files

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

axbeet

Occasional Visitor
Is this an appropriate forum to discuss file sharing between computers and how to configure it for best security? I have one directory on Computer 1 that I would like anything on the home network to be able to view (view only). However, I don't want anything else from this computer shared. My kids are connected to this network, and they aren't too cautious about where they browse. Is there a way to do this with relative security? There are all sorts of videos on how to network computers, but they tell you to turn this on, that on, etc and I have no idea if they've given any sort of consideration towards security. I would like to open my computer up just enough to share a very specific directory, and that's it. Can it be done? I'm relatively new at this, so please type slow :)

Just to give you an idea of how much help I need, I decided that the only person that really needed to be able to see or do any work on the C:\ of Computer 1 is the administrator for Computer 1. Thus, I went under security, and edited permissions such that authenticated users could not read/write/modify/etc. I didn't change the administrators security privileges, but I can no longer access C:\ even from my admin account. Help! :)

Thank you. I wasn't able to restore permissions. When I rebooted, I couldn't launch windows even when logged in as admin. After the login screen, it would just go blank. Thus, no ability to change permissions. I tried rebooting in safe mode. That didn't work. I tried system restores, that didn't work. I tried booting to a command prompt and using Takedown and Icals commands. Those commands weren't recognized. From a command prompt, I couldn't do a dir command on C:\, but I could change to other drives and commands worked normally for navigating the tree. I clearly messed up the C:\ permissions. I then installed linux on a USB, booted from it and that allowed me to move around the C:\ and copy the files I wanted to keep before reformatting and reinstalling windows. I will be much more careful the next time around. If anyone has any advice on Post #1, I would appreciate it.