What's new

How to only have certain needed/wanted ports open on Asus RtAx58u router for home network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Goober Noober

New Around Here
I would like to know how to only have certain ports open on my Asus router. I would only like to be able to browse the internet, torrent movies and shows via something like Plex or Kodi, play one to two online games and be able to turn my smart lights on/off and maybe setup IFTTT stuff and via my security cameras via an app on my phone or website. Would i just look up what port each of these activities use to access the internet? And also would i need to choose specific ports for each specific device that i use to go online with like the type of smart phone, pc, or tv i have? And the same with the smart lights and cameras i use? Or would the ports be more across the board for the specific type of device and not necessarily the brand and or model?

I would like to know how to only have certain ports open on my Asus router. I would only like to be able to browse the internet, torrent movies and shows via something like Plex or Kodi, play one to two online games and be able to turn my smart lights on/off and maybe setup IFTTT stuff and via my security cameras via an app on my phone or website. Would i just look up what port each of these activities use to access the internet? And also would i need to choose specific ports for each specific device that i use to go online with like the type of smart phone, pc, or tv i have? And the same with the smart lights and cameras i use? Or would the ports be more across the board for the specific type of device and not necessarily the brand and or model?

You would use network services filter under firewall but it is going to be a huge hassle and some stuff will not work correctly no matter what you do as many things like torrenting use tons of various ports.

What you're attempting to do is a full time job basically. If there are certain IOT devices you want to lock down that is doable, but normal web browsing and torrenting is not.

OP: IP communication isn't build that way, Generally the clients use randomized ports and connect to services on well known ports.

Inbound nothing is open by default, i.e. all inbound packets that are 'unsolicited' are dropped.

Outbound, everything is open by default, and for good reason, because otherwise as @drinkingbird mentioned, things would break.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!