What's new

AdGuardHome How to open WAN access of web UI after install AMAGHI?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

darkj2k

Occasional Visitor
I want to access the web UI of AdGuard Home from WAN. But looks like the port (default: 14711) was block by the installer script. According to @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow, It need to be utilizing Iptables and firewall-start custom scripts. Since I'm a normally user and not familiar with things about Iptables and custom scripts. I'd appreciate it if someone can guide me step-by-step to do that. Thanks in advance.

Correction, all ports are blocked internet side by the default firewall unless a user (or script) opens them; this is not caused by the installer script.
Sorry for misleading. After googling and lots of try error, finally I got it working as I need. In short here's what I done:

nano /jffs/scripts/firewall-start

Bash:
#!/bin/sh

/usr/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 14711 -j ACCEPT

Now I can access the web UI from WAN even after router reboot. Thanks @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow for encouraged me searching and learning. For any reason I can improve by this way please let me know.

Sorry for misleading. After googling and lots of try error, finally I got it working as I need. In short here's what I done:

nano /jffs/scripts/firewall-start

Bash:
#!/bin/sh

/usr/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 14711 -j ACCEPT

Now I can access the web UI from WAN even after router reboot. Thanks @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow for encouraged me searching and learning. For any reason I can improve by this way please let me know.
Great job.

Keep in mind, this opens that port to the rest of the world too. That is why I did not place it in my installation script because of consideration of peoples security. If you setup a VPN site tunnel, you can access your network remotely over encryption with "less" security risks. You would be able to access your WEBUI for AGH this way without having to expose a port wan side other than the port for your encrypted VPN tunnel. But then you have to ask yourself, which option is better. Everyone around here would probably tell you the VPN site tunnel is the way to go.

1684341644359.png

The easiest way is to enable instant guard.
Would you be able to elaborate a little more on how to access AdGuardHome with Intant Guard enabled? Once AG installed, is there a specific way to setup this up? Thanks!

Would you be able to elaborate a little more on how to access AdGuardHome with Intant Guard enabled? Once AG installed, is there a specific way to setup this up? Thanks!
Just enable instant guard, install it on your phone and connect to it when you are still on the same wifi. So it can "sync up".

After that, outside of your network, you connect to the VPN via instant guard and then open up a web browser and types in your local adress to the adguardhome. Don't forget the port number to adguard.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!