What's new

How to Print with AC 86U, MacOS Mojave, and Ethernet Connected Printer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aging Amateur

New Around Here
I would like to connect my HP LaserJet Pro M402dne printer to my Asus AC86U router with an ethernet cable so I can print wirelessly over our home wifi network. All of our computers run MacOS Mojave. If it helps, HP says this printer is AirPrint compatible.

Thanks for all advice!

Plug in, print

It is literally that simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just run their setup program and it sets everything for you.

Do you mean the Asus AC-86U setup program? For MacOS, the Asus program seems to recommend connecting with a USB cable to the router's USB port, then setting up the printer in MacOS preferences as an LPRServer. I tried that and it did not work for me.

I can print fine if I connect directly to my iMac with a USB cable, but I want to connect to my AC-86U with an ethernet cable (or a USB cable, which did not work) to make the printer available on my wifi network to my Mac laptop.

With ethernet connection to router it should be that simple.
If you use USB to connect it you will need Airprint to make it visible to other clients.

Maybe I'm wrong but thats how I understood it in the past.
I use WiFi (similar to LAN) and printer only has to be installed on clients, thats it.

There is nothing to do on the router.

Printer Ethernet to router, Mac already has the drivers installed as you’ve had it working via USB, so on the Mac just add printer and it’ll search the network for you and find it automatically

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The HP software should make it work with an Ethernet cable on the same network.

My only complaint with HP's software is it will not print if you switch to a different network. I recently bought an HP printer and installed their software. It prints fine. If I plug into a different network in my house my laptop does not print any more I guess because it can't find the printer. My old printer was setup with LPD and it worked fine across networks. I may switch my HP over to that. I have not researched it yet to see if there is a way to setup the HP software to work across networks. Anybody know?