What's new

How to properly setup Roaming on two ro more ASUS routers ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

busch09

Regular Contributor
Hi,

Is there a way to setup seamless roaming on two or more asus routers ? I have 2 connected via lan cable, first AC68 as Wireless Router, second AC66 as Access Point.

When I walk around my house with a ongoing voip call or just browsing on IOS devices, connection stalls and I get time outs for a minute or so.

Is there a way to optimize this ?
CapturFiles-20170124_0901.png CapturFiles-20170124_0901_1.png CapturFiles-20170124_0901_2.png CapturFiles-20170124_0901_3.png
I assume there is no way to program 802.11k/r into the firmware or is there?

Is there a way to setup seamless roaming on two or more asus routers ?

no way other than to make sure you are using the same ssid and password but using different channels on both routers and the routers are far enough apart that there is no more than about 20% overlap , if you cant do that by placement you can use the power control to reduce power output

use something like inssider app to have a look at the rssi from each transmission and the crossover point should be -55db or higher ( eg closer to -100 )

connection stalls and I get time outs for a minute or so.

this shouldnt be the case and indicates you may have too much overlap

no way other than to make sure you are using the same ssid and password but using different channels on both routers and the routers are far enough apart that there is no more than about 20% overlap , if you cant do that by placement you can use the power control to reduce power output

use something like inssider app to have a look at the rssi from each transmission and the crossover point should be -55db or higher ( eg closer to -100 )

Could you explain this in more detail (with an example maybe)?

picture paints a thousands words

223335.jpg

so the circles are the transmissions from each router and the overlap is 20%

you can use an app like wifi analyser or inssider to read the rssi levels

if you stand in the overlap area both transmissions should rad between -55 and -66 db rssi