What's new

How to recover HDD on new NAS???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vince C

New Around Here
Hi,

I had a Zyxel NAS 320 with two WD 1TB harddrives (one as RAID). The NAS stopped working (actually it wouldn't turn off!), and Zyxel customer support said it was a hardware failure issue, and I would need to purchase a new NAS. So, I picked up a Zyxel NAS 325, expecting that it would be easier to read the HDD with the same NAS brand. I was wrong!!

The NAS 325 can't see the volumes on the HDD's, and wants to create a new volume, which would wipe out my data.

How do I access the data from the NAS 320 using with a new NAS??? Please help... we have a lot of family info on it.

thanks,
Vince

I would contact Zyxel's customer support folks first regarding the volume migration post-HW failure of the older NAS.

Consider it a lesson learned - NAS's need to be part of the overall backup plan, just like other devices..

Worst-case scenario (if they don't support disk migration) is to plug it to a computer running Linux (or using a Linux LiveCD) to recover the content. There's a good chance the disk is formatted in a Linux filesystem.

Worst-case scenario (if they don't support disk migration) is to plug it to a computer running Linux (or using a Linux LiveCD) to recover the content. There's a good chance the disk is formatted in a Linux filesystem.

The challenge here is that his disks are configured as a RAID - so depending on how Zyxel handles this (most do thru mdadm, which is good perhaps), and how the volumes were handled - lvm or not? and then the filesystem on top of things - which depends on a fair amount of knowledge and skill with the deep dark insides of Linux disk management...

It is possible - there's a writeup over on anandtech that walks thru a HW failure and data recovery on Synology... which is a good first step as to investigate the challenges above I mention...