What's new

How to reject wifi device by device name

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rockstead

Occasional Visitor
looking for a parental control here.

Child has school device and kid is smart enough and school device security is lax enough that they can change the MAC address, so any wifi blocking or Mac filtering achieves little.

I’ve noticed the device name remains constant, is there a way to filter by device name? I haven’t been able to find it and nothing on Google, but maybe I’m not searching with the right terminology.

Thanks!

looking for a parental control here.

Child has school device and kid is smart enough and school device security is lax enough that they can change the MAC address, so any wifi blocking or Mac filtering achieves little.

I’ve noticed the device name remains constant, is there a way to filter by device name? I haven’t been able to find it and nothing on Google, but maybe I’m not searching with the right terminology.

Thanks!
How is the kid going to do school work on the school device if you block it from internet. Doesn’t it use school cloud services?

Same question.

I noticed that my Apple devices (iPhone, iPad) could change their MAC address randomly. My VPN setup is based on the MAC. Once the device changes its MAC, it will not go through the VPN.

How is the kid going to do school work on the school device if you block it from internet. Doesn’t it use school cloud services?
At least I could turn it on by demand in that case, and I wish they actually used it for school!

This is really to enforce some sleep time.

Same question.

I noticed that my Apple devices (iPhone, iPad) could change their MAC address randomly. My VPN setup is based on the MAC. Once the device changes its MAC, it will not go through the VPN.
Random Mac address setting in the iDevice wifi settings. On your wifi network in the settings, click the little i then turn off the Private Wi-Fi Address. You'll get a privacy warning that you can ignore. FYI, this is okay for your home network but I'd leave it one for public wifi places you visit and connect to.

Mabey overkill but set your DHCP server ip range eg 192.168.1.5 to 192.168.1.25 ?? to what you have at your place and configure each device with a static ip. And leave one open for the child. The moment you want the child to stop the internet then you block that IP. When the DCHP server is “full” and can’t give a new number. Maybe that works? I never tried it.

Mabey overkill but set your DHCP server ip range eg 192.168.1.5 to 192.168.1.25 ?? to what you have at your place and configure each device with a static ip. And leave one open for the child. The moment you want the child to stop the internet then you block that IP. When the DCHP server is “full” and can’t give a new number. Maybe that works? I never tried it.
I figured it would be easier to just do an accept only by Mac filtering, but that’s going to cause me more grief by the family, I’m assuming there has to be a way to block by decide name since it’s a field that I can see on my device listing.

I’ve noticed the device name remains constant, is there a way to filter by device name?
If by "device name" you mean host name, i.e. the host name that will be inserted into the router's DNS server, you could try the following.

Make sure that you don't have a DHCP reservation for the host in DHCP.

Add the following line to /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add. Change the host name and IP address to match your environment. Choose an IP address that isn't currently in use and outside of the DHCP pool.

Code:
dhcp-host=mypcname,192.168.1.9

In theory this will mean that every time a host with that name connects to DHCP it will be given the same IP address. That should allow you to block the device by IP address using something like Network Services Filter.

I'm thinking more along the lines of putting it on a guest network (and unfortunately change the main wifi password) and then use a combination of ebtables and a cron job to allow or drop traffic from the guest network during bedtime.

Turn the WiFi off, change passwords, or take the device away. Those always work for bedtime.

You could always put them on the guest network and just turn off the guest network at bedtime.

If by "device name" you mean host name, i.e. the host name that will be inserted into the router's DNS server, you could try the following.

Make sure that you don't have a DHCP reservation for the host in DHCP.

Add the following line to /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add. Change the host name and IP address to match your environment. Choose an IP address that isn't currently in use and outside of the DHCP pool.

Code:
dhcp-host=mypcname,192.168.1.9

In theory this will mean that every time a host with that name connects to DHCP it will be given the same IP address. That should allow you to block the device by IP address using something like Network Services Filter.

Hi @ColinTaylor,

What are you referring to, would it also work for clients connected to the Guest network?

interface=br1 --> Guest 2.4GHz
dhcp-range=br1,192.168.101.2,192.168.101.254,255.255.255.0,86400s
dhcp-option=br1,3,192.168.101.1

Code:
dhcp-host=device_guest1,192.168.101.2
dhcp-host=device_guest2,192.168.101.3
dhcp-host=device_guest3,192.168.101.4

Thanks.

@Jonnny I don't know, you'll have to try it for yourself. I suspect you might need to include the br1 tag.

It was interesting to know if it would work (IP + Name). :)

At the moment I can only define a name (guest device) through the mac filtering option (checking guest devices through the router page (GUI)).

Eg.

GUI (mac filtering option) name - "My Galaxy";

1685821145095.png

Syslog - when connected, the hostname defined in the device appears "Galaxy-A51";

1685821399235.png

ARP - ? (192.168.101.8) at MAC [ether] on br1

1685821800203.png

Thanks.

_Update_

I just tested it and it works.

Default (br0):
Code:
dhcp-host=MAC,set:MAC,device_guest1,192.168.XXX.X

I added the line below for each device/MAC/IP (/jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add):

Code:
dhcp-host=MAC,device_guest1,192.168.101.X

These two ways also work:

Code:
dhcp-host=br1,MAC,set:MAC,device_guest1,192.168.101.X
dhcp-host=MAC,set:MAC,device_guest1,192.168.101.X

Now every time the device connects to the WiFi network, the "correct" name + IP appears in the syslog.

To also appear in the arp table, just add it to the hosts file (/jffs/configs/hosts.add).

Code:
192.168.101.X device_guest1

It remains to know how to configure the IP range (without duplicating the default configuration).