What's new

How to remount an ejected USB harddrive?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chinese_ys

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I just get into the lovely Merlin firmware world. Really awesome stuff!!

I am trying to figure out:

There is a usb harddrives plugged in to router, from webui, I ejected it. But found there is a file I need from the drive but I am not near the router to unplug and re-plugin. So how to re-mount a plugged-in USB harddrive without unplug and then plug in OR reboot the Router?

If there is no such option in webui, can I do it from CLI? I can ssh into the router.

Thanks,
/S

AFAIK there is no way to remount it once it is ejected.
A very unsafe way to try it anyway would be to find the device with
fdisk -l (thats lowercase L)
and mount it to /mnt/
mount /dev/<device name> /mnt/
Be aware that this will mount to /tmp/ and may interfere with still mounted devices!

AFAIK there is no way to remount it once it is ejected.
A very unsafe way to try it anyway would be to find the device with
fdisk -l (thats lowercase L)
and mount it to /mnt/
mount /dev/<device name> /mnt/
Be aware that this will mount to /tmp/ and may interfere with still mounted devices!

I tried the mount command while waiting for reply. It did seem mounted the drive but not showing mounted on webui status section and it didnot seem fileshare not working for that drive either...

It might not shown as mounted. I have had wierd behaviour with my other mounted USB devices when executing the mount command. Thats why I wrote be cautious.
Still, if you traverse to /tmp/mnt/
cd /tmp/mnt/
and then list all
ls -la
Do you see your files?
You might then be able to copy the file with scp through ssh.

It might not shown as mounted. I have had wierd behaviour with my other mounted USB devices when executing the mount command. Thats why I wrote be cautious.
Still, if you traverse to /tmp/mnt/
cd /tmp/mnt/
and then list all
ls -la
Do you see your files?
You might then be able to copy the file with scp through ssh.

Right, ls shows the content on the drive and I should be able to scp it off. But My goal is to mount the drive like just plugged in to router...

Seems stupid answer, but you can reboot the router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's one of the 2 ways what I found to have the drive remounted properly from webui perspective. Reboot router or unplug and plugin again

Seems stupid answer, but you can reboot the router.
That is obvious, but he specifically asked for a solution not to reboot. So...

Right, ls shows the content on the drive and I should be able to scp it off. But My goal is to mount the drive like just plugged in to router...
Sorry that's all i know. Perhaps someone else has a better idea. But once you've got your files off the Stick you could reboot if it's not interferring with whatever makes you not want to reboot in the first place.

That's one of the 2 ways what I found to have the drive remounted properly from webui perspective. Reboot router or unplug and plugin again

Plugging it in generates a hotplug event. You can simulate this by issuing the following command:
Code:
/sbin/hotplug2
This way not only is the USB device re-mounted but the NAS services (ftp & samba) are restarted as well.

Plugging it in generates a hotplug event. You can simulate this by issuing the following command:
Code:
/sbin/hotplug2
This way not only is the USB device re-mounted but the NAS services (ftp & samba) are restarted as well.

Thanks, that does the trick!! Maybe next version Merlin can put a GUI option on web:D

It may be coincidence, but I had terrible problems trying to mount a known-good ( it worked on previous versions) USB stick on my N66U after upgrading to 374.40. I plugged it in and removed it several time without any joy - it steadfastly remained 'unmounted'. Eventually, it did mount, but damned if I know what I did to get it to work. A GUI 'mount' command would be very useful.

Thanks, that does the trick!! Maybe next version Merlin can put a GUI option on web:D

A quick dirty hack to the mount webui function. support remove one by one, and mount all disks at once.

http://www.oldlinux.org/Asuswrt-Merlin/RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.41_alpha5.trx

udisk1.png

udisk2.png

Last edited:
the problem I have is the drive will not mount no matter what until it has been hotplugged post boot :(

the problem I have is the drive will not mount no matter what until it has been hotplugged post boot :(
What do the relevant entries in the logfile say?

What do the relevant entries in the logfile say?

Code:
Jan  1 00:00:15 kernel: scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Toshiba  External USB 3.0 0201 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
Jan  1 00:00:15 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
Jan  1 00:00:15 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Very big device. Trying to use READ CAPACITY(16).
Jan  1 00:00:15 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 5860533160 512-byte logical blocks: (3.00 TB/2.72 TiB)
Jan  1 00:00:15 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
Jan  1 00:00:15 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
Jan  1 00:00:15 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Very big device. Trying to use READ CAPACITY(16).
Jan  1 00:00:15 kernel:  sda: sda1 < >
Jan  1 00:00:15 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk

i can post the complete boot log if you need?

Seems it takes some time to determine SOMETHING...
Very big device. Trying to use READ CAPACITY(16)

It's probably best if you create a new thread containing the complete log as your problem is different from this one.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!