What's new

How to remove or ban a client?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JT Strickland

Very Senior Member
Is there any way to remove/ ban/ or block a client? I've got an unknown on my network reporting as intel corporate. I've blocked internet access, but that's all I can find.
thanks,
jts

Change all the router and Wi-Fi passwords if you suspect rogue activity. Banning a client won't stop another device from connecting.

Did you leave WPS enabled?
Only time I ever see devices I do not know is when WPS is still enabled hence why I turn it off when setting up the router.

Did you leave WPS enabled?
Only time I ever see devices I do not know is when WPS is still enabled hence why I turn it off when setting up the router.
wps is off

If WPS is off and you don't have any poster size QR codes in plain sight, you might want to check the OUI Database to see if you can find out which device you've just blacklisted with the MAC Address Filter.

Any of your laptops support Intel Wireless Display?

Do an ipconfig /all on each wireless PC to see if any ip's match what you see in the router.

Actually, it is now on wired. I was either mistaken or it changed after I took it out in the mac address filter.

If WPS is off and you don't have any poster size QR codes in plain sight, you might want to check the OUI Database to see if you can find out which device you've just blacklisted with the MAC Address Filter.
I did. It said intel corporate also. It is making me nervous now. It has been there for a couple of days.

Actually, it is now on wired. I was either mistaken or it changed after I took it out in the mac address filter.
That's probably a false classification. If the router can't find a known MAC address as a connected WiFi client it assumes it's wired.

Have you rebooted the router?

Any of your laptops support Intel Wireless Display?

Do an ipconfig /all on each wireless PC to see if any ip's match what you see in the router.
I haven't found anything yet with the ip or mac, pc or otherwise..

That's probably a false classification. If the router can't find a known MAC address as a connected WiFi client it assumes it wired.

Have you rebooted the router?
It hasn't transferred any data since it don't look like.

edit: No, I haven't rebooted the routed. I suppose I should, I didn't even think of that.

Last edited:
If it is/was on the wireless 5 ghz network, it would have to be local, right? Or can a hacker pretend to be a wireless client?

I get that you feel uncomfortable, but try not to panic. Most of the time there's a very sensible explanation (assuming you have a save password, no poster sized QR codes, WPS disabled and taken every other precaution which might make you an easy target. For instance: have you compared the MAC address to your ISPs' modem? Many of these things seem to use Intel Puma chipsets. Of course, Intel has manufactured many other chipsets, but you wouldn't be the first to overlook the most obvious: your ISPs' modem. Talking from first hand experience.

I get that you feel uncomfortable, but try not to panic. Most of the time there's a very sensible explanation (assuming you have a save password, no poster sized QR codes, WPS disabled and taken every other precaution which might make you an easy target. For instance: have you compared the MAC address to your ISPs' modem? Many of these things seem to use Intel Puma chipsets. Of course, Intel has manufactured many other chipsets, but you wouldn't be the first to overlook the most obvious: your ISPs' modem. Talking from first hand experience.
You are right, I did not consider the modem, but I've never saw it show up before.
I feel like it is something that we have put on there, but I cannot find out what it is. I think I have run down everything. I only have less than 20 clients currently.

edit: I thought it might be from a eufy indoor camera I am testing. That's when I first noticed it. I contacted eufy security and they said it wasn't theirs, so block it if I wanted to.

Last edited:
FOUND IT!
And it is really silly. It was my laptop, connected on wifi (auto) AND on ethernet. I didn't catch it because it was connecting by the wire to a thunderbolt dock, and had the MAC address of the adapter in it instead of the MAC and IP of the laptop that I was accustomed to. I should've caught it sooner, anyway.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!