What's new

How to rename clients?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Istanbul

New Around Here
Hi,

I got this router for Christmas.

One thing I can't figure out is how to rename clients to a more user friendly designation other than the MAC address?

Thanks.

Also, is it possible to give a bandwidth priority to a specific client, as it says in the manual (using the older interface before firmware update).

Thanks.

Hey there,

I'm by far no expert, but as far I as can figure the hostnames you're looking for are set by the clients themselves.

If they are like Windows-clients, you can set it in "Advanced System Settings" (formerly known as Computer Management afaik..). On linux based system it's prolly in your rc.conf (or similar, depending on your distro).

Thanks.

That's kind of disappointing.

My bog standard router given to me by my ISP allowed me to do this.

Made everything much clearer and easier to manage.

:mad:

I gave up and made a separate spreadsheet for this. It's a PITA to setup initially, but it works fine thereafter.

I assign all my known devices to an IP so if anything outside that range pops up I can more easily track it down.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!