What's new

How to Reset AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EMERSON VIER

Occasional Visitor
Hi folks, If remove power from my AC86U, and apply power again, take more then 2 hours to the router will be back to work, I did a factory reset by the webpage, set up again, issues still, I tried Reset 30-30-30 but does not work, after router go back with the same configuration.

I have the FW 384.9

I need some direction here.

Hi folks, If remove power from my AC86U, and apply power again, take more then 2 hours to the router will be back to work, I did a factory reset by the webpage, set up again, issues still, I tried Reset 30-30-30 but does not work, after router go back with the same configuration.

I have the FW 384.9

Unplug router, press wps button and plug router back in. wait for light to flash and then wait for 10 minutes. The setup page should appear when the router comes up.

Unplug router, press wps button and plug router back in. wait for light to flash and then wait for 10 minutes. The setup page should appear when the router comes up.
I did this to many times, but the last three I did manually, so I am only set up the wifi.

I did this to many times, but the last three I did manually, so I am only set up the wifi.
One more thing the 30-30-30 method is not advised with Merlin firmware. I wouldn't advise this method of clearing nvram.

Keep the setup basic, add things back one at a time so you can see when it breaks.

I have the FW 384.9

The 30-30-30 reset does not work with Asus routers (Asus stock or RMerlin powered).

See if the following links in my signature help.

Emerson; L&LD and Skeal are right on, patience is what usually pays off with these. Have gone some rounds with several of these magnificent beasts (86U). If you tame them, they're great boxes. Posted early notes re this on other threads sometime ago, and have refined/edited the procedure that's worked since. (Adding another version of similar notes doesn't make this a cure and isn't proper netiquette.

A friend bought one that became difficult and fought with it for a week. He was boxing it for a return when he rang me up on a Sunday; told him bring it over. 3 hours later, we'd chased the gremlins out. It's been running 3 weeks with no relapse. It's good karma to help others, so if you're interested, I'll try to PM you the notes. Not magic, not a factory approved method, so read if you want to try it with your unit, give it a whirl and it may give you more clues. it's your router and your time. If your purchase/return/replacement window is closing, most balky units only need a little coaxing, not a voodoo curse.

The upgrade shouldn't take more than an hour or so to get Merlin solidly in place. The remainder of system setup, customization, testing and tweaking is normal. The rejection loop (for lack of a better term) seems to relate to how many times someone was impatient, became stuck in a rut, combined with how many times the router rejects Merlin, no matter how long someone devotes to the process. Asus routers are tough to brick but it's happened. The longest we've ever futzed with a new 86, was two full days and won't do it again. So far, it hasn't proven necessary. If your factory initialization/reset is where you can see Asus setup in your browser, and if you can enter the GUI and bypass the factory steps, this may help. Post or PM and good luck.

Hi folks, thank all of you, after to many hours.... I did over SSH(Putty), run the "nvram erase" command so works ;).

After reboot many time and power off/on many times. I hope I fixed on your tips.

Only one thing still bad, I have 3 devices 2.4 but I can not connect.

Hi folks, thank all of you, after to many hours.... I did over SSH(Putty), run the "nvram erase" command so works ;).

After reboot many time and power off/on many times. I hope I fixed on your tips.

You're welcome.

Try 'forgetting' the network on those devices, reboot them, then re-associate them.

If that doesn't work, try resetting the network settings on those devices (are they handheld devices?), reboot them, create a new SSID with no special characters at all and reboot the router, and then re-associate those devices after the router has been up for 5 minutes or so.

That's wat I had with my ax88. The thing that did the trick was taking out the powerplug from the router. So not taking out the powersupply but the small plug from the router for 30secs.

You're welcome.

Try 'forgetting' the network on those devices, reboot them, then re-associate them.

If that doesn't work, try resetting the network settings on those devices (are they handheld devices?), reboot them, create a new SSID with no special characters at all and reboot the router, and then re-associate those devices after the router has been up for 5 minutes or so.

Absolutely correct. Forget the network on all the devices. On iOS you can only forget networks that are still broadcasting which is a nuisance, so the best way is to reset all Network Settings to remove old unseen wifi profiles.