What's new

How to set up a VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scottlitch

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have a Linksys LRT214 and would like to set up the VPN so my iPhone can use it. I have little idea of how to do it. I have options to Tunnel or Group VPN, the local group setup, the client setup, and IPSEC setup. Can someone give me a 101 or point me to an article to get this up and running? I've tried quite a few things to no avail. I have experience with port forwarding over the WAN, so I know some basics.

IT depends on which protocol you want to use to setup your VPN and which VPN you are using? Because there are different guides for each VPN and there different protocols.

IT depends on which protocol you want to use to setup your VPN and which VPN you are using? Because there are different guides for each VPN and there different protocols.
Whatever VPN I can set up for free using the LRT214 and will work with my iPhone 11. I've tried multiple times, but can't get my phone to connect. The terminology the iPhone uses doesn't match 1:1 with the LRT's interface.

The IPsec on iPhone/iPad is a Cisco VPN client, which is a proprietary technology that is not supported by LRT214. The VPN options supported by LRT214 include OpenVPN and PPTP, which is supported by iOS without 3rd party VPN client.

So I get about 4 Mbs download while connected even though my home connection is 500 Mbs down and 50 Mbs up. It's pretty slow. Is there a way to get my iPhone to appear on the LAN? It would be neat if I could use AirPlay like I'm on my home Wi-Fi, even when I'm not.