What's new

How to set up AX88U to have two connect to same ISP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Henry

Occasional Visitor
There are 2 routers I have. Ones RT-AC86U is the older one because I bought RT-AX88U, I hope AC86U can use it for other applications not just retired.

AX88U is also a VPN Server, AX88U original using PPPOE to connect to ISP modem. Then AX88U gets wan IP to register to DDNS server. But I found AX88U float wan IP is not stable to connect, some time AX88U cannot PPPOE connect to ISP, so I lose the Wan IP during disconnect. Of course, during this time my VPN client is gone.

The following picture is my concept, is possible to implement it? and how to set up the AC86U and AX88U?

1627283349075.png

1. The ISP provides two PPPOE connections, ones is a static WAN IP(Green line), the other one can be a float WAN IP(Yellow line).
2. AX88U is passable to set dual wan connected to AC86U router and get wan IP from AC86U?
3. If AX88U cannot get wan IP from AC86U, that means AX88U only can keep alive connected to the internet, but cannot keep alive VPN server connected(because of no WAN IP for AX88U register to DDNS server), right?
4. If the above structure is not passable to implement, are there other suggestions to keep AX88U keep alive forever?

There is a survey from ASUS official website:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1015722/
According to the sentence, I am not sure that AX88U really can get WAN IP from AC86U.
The sentence just mentions about "Now go to your LAN client, try to dial with your PPPoE account/password and you will get a public IP.". Does that mean LAN client is now equal my AX88U?
If AX88U becomes a LAN client, that would mean AX88U always got float WAN IP. Because AX88U dials PPPOE to get is a float WAN IP. But I hope when PPPOE float WAN IP crashed, the AC86U dials PPPOE to get static WAN IP and AX88U use the static wan IP from AC86U to register DDNS Server.

Last edited:
Your post gave me a headache, but I commend you on the artwork and the neatness of it. I hope someone with a less damaged brain than mine can help you.

If (if) I understand this correctly, this is not possible.

Henry, the two replies above translated for you:
Please re-state what you expect and what you have now. It is very ambiguous, let alone hard to follow, to know what you are trying to convey.

Even your last sentence above is hard to decipher (even if I can guess at the meaning).

We want to help, but right now, the words are getting in the way. Please try using point form.

The following picture is my concept, is possible to implement it?

Use the better AX88U router only, retire on the beach AC86U.
- the second router is only an extra point of failure in this network
- if the modem goes bad, both PPPoE connections are out, no redundancy and no point doing it
- Asus advertises Dual WAN as feature, but it is not working reliably WAN + LAN port in Asuswrt

Henry, the two replies above translated for you:
Please re-state what you expect and what you have now. It is very ambiguous, let alone hard to follow, to know what you are trying to convey.

Even your last sentence above is hard to decipher (even if I can guess at the meaning).

We want to help, but right now, the words are getting in the way. Please try using point form.
Sorry for complicate the problem.

Let me simplify the question. Original PPPOE wan connect will like following pic1. This connection AX88U will get a public float IP for example like: 35.27.XX.XX

PIC1:
1627436159711.png

I hope AX88U connection always alive, so, enable AX88U Dual WAN to do second connection. (See pic2)

PIC2:
1627436188777.png

Open the AX88U Dual WAN connect to AC86U will get a private IP like: 192.168.50.xx

The problem is beginning in here. AX88U set to be a VPN server. If AX88U dial with PPPOE through WAN, AX88U will get a public IP that can register to DDNS. But when original WAN crashed, the backup Dual WAN PIC2 will connect to AC86U and also get IP as a private IP (192.168.50.xx). Private IP will not be able to register to DDNS server. Use Dual WAN in AX88U will lose the public IP to register to DDNS server. In this moment, my VPN client will not be able connect to AX88U VPN server.

Just use the single connection with the static IP address. Don't use the dynamic (float) connection. Don't use the AC86U. Don't use dual-WAN.

Use the better AX88U router only, retire on the beach AC86U.
- the second router is only an extra point of failure in this network
- if the modem goes bad, both PPPoE connections are out, no redundancy and no point doing it
- Asus advertises Dual WAN as feature, but it is not working reliably WAN + LAN port in Asuswrt

Thanks for your reply. According to your title and suggestion, I thought the only way to keep the connection alive is to find a second ISP to do a backup connection. Especially, you mention about "Asus advertises Dual WAN as feature, but it is not working reliably WAN + LAN port in Asuswrt".
I ever try many structure connections with AX88U and AC86U, but most results are not stable. So, I am posting the question here. Anyway, thanks for your advice.

Just use the single connection with the static IP address. Don't use the dynamic (float) connection. Don't use the AC86U. Don't use dual-WAN.

Actually, I wish to use the static IP address forever. But I worry about the static IP attack risk, or I am just overthinking.

I thought the only way to keep the connection alive is to find a second ISP to do a backup connection.

You can, but unlikely with what Asus offers as Dual WAN. I have dual ISP in 4 places, 3x use Cisco (business) and 1x Netgate (home). I do electronic repairs in my free time (a hobby, not a business) and I have around about 10 different Asus routers from different generations. None of them does Dual WAN fail over the way it should be. Asus never fixed Dual WAN in Asuswrt, the issue exists for years. The cheapest Gigabit router with proper Multi WAN is TP-Link TL-R605, it's around $60.

This exact part (Fail Over) is not working in Asuswrt, unless you physically disconnect one of the LAN cables.
I ever try the following structure on my server,
1627440134510.png

And you are right, I need to design a code in server. The code to monitor dose the AX88U WAN is crashed? If yes, the code need to disconnected Ethernet1 and then trigger the Ethernet2. But using this way the monitor code will going to very complicated. The monitor code not only wakeup Ethernet2 but also needs to detect when will turn back to major router AX88U Ethernet1. BTW, the VPN set up also another difficult problem.

If you want 2x ISP for redundancy, get two different connections:

Code:
ISP-1        ISP-2
Cable        ADSL

\        /

Multi WAN
      Router

|

AX88U

Your Asus router will be in double NAT, but this is not a problem.

If you want 2x ISP for redundancy, get two different connections:

Code:
ISP-1        ISP-2
Cable        ADSL

\        /

Multi WAN
      Router

|

AX88U

Your Asus router will be in double NAT, but this is not a problem.
According to ur statement, could I implement the following structure? My older problem seems coming back again.
1627442801048.png

Yes, I know if the modem is gone, then every thing is gone too. But this is the best cost down way. And I found many times, when the float IP crashed, but the static IP still working (becasue my carmera still working from static IP).

I don't know what type of modem this is. Can you connect 2 LAN cables to it and establish 2x PPPoE connections in the same time?

I don't know what type of modem this is. Can you connect 2 LAN cables to it and establish 2x PPPoE connections in the same time?
I have to try, this means dial 2 PPPOE to the same modem(but different account) in the same PC machine. Even the PC machine there has two ethernet interfaces. (I think will conflict in the same PC machine)

Actually, I wish to use the static IP address forever. But I worry about the static IP attack risk, or I am just overthinking.
Yes you are overthinking. Your servers need to be secure whether you use a static IP or a dynamic IP.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!